scaredy fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sciencegirl

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've got a 10 gal with 3 glo-light tetras and a neon tetra (the rest of my fish died a few months ago, some of NTD, others were a mystery). Since then, my fish have been thriving but for the past two weeks or so all 4 have gotten super skittish, and as a result don't seem to be eating much. They used to race to the front of the tank when I got home to feed them, but now they are just hiding lots. Any thoughts?

can you post your water perameters so that can be ruled out? (pH, ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, and possibly kH)

They look healthy - the remaining neon has survived 2 bouts of neon tetra disease (I treated with parasite guard) and he's almost "big", at least for a neon. His belly is big but not bloated, just roundish and luscious. The 3 glo-lights have good colour and are looking well...they just hang out in the corner of the tank or under various decorations.

Both the nitrate and ammonia are low, (ammonia is 0, nitrate is between 0 and 10 or so). Temp is about 24 degrees celcius. Not much has changed in the tank - I scrape off algae periodically, and do a 1/5 water change once or twice a week. They eat every day (tiny amount); they eat tropical flakes and sometimes frozen bloodworms.

The filter is just a regular hob filter (no wheel), and the heater is a good one that I got at my lfs...she said it is the most accurate they had for the 10gal aquarium (it's way better than the one I had before)...it actually keeps the temp consistent, so it's working pretty well.

I've got the fluorescent bulb on a timer so it comes on at about 3pm and turns off around 9:30 pm. Unfortunately, a small amount of sunlight gets into the tank, but not lots. Is the tank too bright for them?

I should start training him, he's a looker alright! :lol:

I don't have a nitrite result...I guess this could be a problem? The tank has been up and running since last october, so I figure that it had cycled. Any thoughts on lighting or temp?

Regular tropicals are 80-82 degrees as far as temp goes and lighting is personal choice, aside from a on off routine that fish need to be healthy, but dont go with more then 1watt per gallon NO if you dont want to put in live plants..

Luscious.....he must be one of those sexy fishes. Have you thought about training him

haha...good one, anyways....if all of your parameters are right and everything looks good it might be outside factors....do you have any children at home or animals that could scare the living daylight out of the fish....are there any spots for them to hide so they could feel comfortable

Ah yes...naughty kitty. I think that the cat has taken a keen interest in the tank since my otos made a break for it (they sort of disappeared). He doesn't do too much though, but his interest might be enough to creep them out. They have lots of plants and rocks to hide in, so hopefully they will calm down soon. Thanks very much for your help.

Tetras like to be in groups of their own. A single neon and just a few glo-lights might be skittish because they don't have enough friends around them.

Back
Top Bottom