Scarlet Badis Behaviour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got 4 scarlet badiss today (2 pairs). I think they look healthy but hav enoticed slightly odd behaviour and want to know if it is just normal for this species. They seem to hover with half their body limp sometimes. Their tail kinda droops and their head points up sometimes. One of them was hiding in my water sprite and turned up sidedown and rubbed on the plant.
Normal or is something wrong? I noticed them trying to look intimidating it seems a couple times to. Gonna feed them tonight but want to make sure everything is ok.
Thanks in advance and God bless!

ok I will thanks. I have a 3 day full money back garantee... they were shipped to the LFS today....

I love my scarlet badis badis in my shrimp tank. It is normal for them to 'hover' in awkward positions, such as head up or head down, but as for going up side down and scratching, no good.

They are awesome though, look kind of like tiny little Dwarf gouramis with more vibrant red and bright streaks of blue. You're missing out not having them still!

I have them! I love them! I got the beautiful ones with bright red and quite a bit of blue!

Ohh sorry I thought you meant you 'shipped' them back lol
How often does the 1 do that? just that once?

oh no lol Yea I have only seen it happen once. They are pretty lazy. Just perching on plants or the sand. I dont ussually buy the day a fish arrives but these go quick especially females. They probably hadnt been in the store an hour. Not in the healthiest tank either but hopefully they are ok!

I hope they are ok! I really want some, but I'm not sure about what kind of tank to put them in yet... My LFS usually has them in little nano tanks but don't they need more space than that? What size tank do you have them in?

I hope they are ok! I really want some, but I'm not sure about what kind of tank to put them in yet... My LFS usually has them in little nano tanks but don't they need more space than that? What size tank do you have them in?
Hey I have them in the 26 but you could EASILY keep them in much smaller! I think a male femle pair would be fine in 5 gallons. 10 gallons you could probably have 6 of the little guys. They are not even an inch long and dont appear to be messy. The main factor is aggression. They are territorial I believe. I will probably get about 5 pairs in my tank but I am getting other fish as well. Although these guys have changed my stocking plan because I love them!

GodFan said:
Hey I have them in the 26 but you could EASILY keep them in much smaller! I think a male femle pair would be fine in 5 gallons. 10 gallons you could probably have 6 of the little guys. They are not even an inch long and dont appear to be messy. The main factor is aggression. They are territorial I believe. I will probably get about 5 pairs in my tank but I am getting other fish as well. Although these guys have changed my stocking plan because I love them!

So how has your stocking plan changed? Do they stick to the bottom part of the tank? I know I don't want to risk them with a betta, but ...? I am kinda thinking about doing a biotrope for them but I'm having a hard time finding what other fish would be a good match. What are your choices?

Well they do stick to the bottom somewhat. They also like the wisteria which is quite tall. I have changed my stocking plans because I want more scralets lol I have black kuhli loaches and shrimp with them and 2 otos right now. I will probably add a small schooling fish and a pair or 2 of dwarf crayfish.

Back
Top Bottom