Schooling fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JimmyJBBPJMT

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all! I've got a 55 gal tank I'm considering filling up with 75-100 neon tetras but haven't decided on them yet. I really want something that's at least that bright but as easy to breed as a platy and one that will also school very well. Any fish that meet 2 of 3 or even all three of these characteristics.

Well, bright, easy breeding fish, and they don't really "school" but do stay close together are guppies

Those were one of my most likely choices. But id be willing to give up the color or breeding just for the schooling but I do want them to stay small.

Hmmm, the neon tetra idea sounds very cool, how about a group of harlequins, neons, and rummy noses, those fish stay small, and with a school of 15-18 each I don't think you will have a problem

That might be interesting. My plan is to fill the tank will lots of driftwood branches and cover the branches with moss an have the bottom covered in that short grass like plant. I jumped to the thought of neons because with so much brown and green the reds and blues would pop nicely.

I love my neons. I have my tank filled with wood and plants and the neons glow. I was shocked the first time I saw those glowing stripes in a school. They look so pretty. I also just started keeping guppies. They school with the neons for some reason. All those colors together look beautiful.

I have plans of redoing my 45g in the near future and stocking it with Ember tetras. They have a nice, deep red coloring and stay very small. Not sure how easy they are to breed though.

Back
Top Bottom