Schooling Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheMurrays

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 14 gal tank, and I recently lost some fish to what I believe was fin rot. The fish that remain are looking much better, and I would like to add more in a month or so, if they stay healthy. As of now I have one cory cat (he was in a school, but I lost the rest), two x-ray tetras, and two cherry barbs.

My question is about these fish and schooling. I know the cories like to be in schools. I've heard five is a good number for schooling fish. What about the tetras? Do they school only with their own kind, or would they school with other types of tetras? Do the cherry barbs school?

Just trying to get an idea of what I should buy. I would not mind getting other kinds of fish, but I want these guys to be happy if they like to school. Thanks!

In my opinion, having had cherry barbs, you would need a school of about 8 to keep their aggression level reasonable and your tank is not large enough to hold them.

Fin rot usually doesn't kill fish. I'm wondering if you lost everyone to columnaris, a highly contagious disease, for which fin rot is but one symptom.

You could have a small school of the xrays in this tank, and yes, beef up the cory school to a minimum of 3 or more, depending on the species. All tetras and most barbs require schools of 6-8, more is better.

Thanks. I've heard that cherry barbs are aggressive, but I've had my two for close to a year and they seem to like one another. Haha. So I guess it will just be those two for now. I'm definitely going to get more cories. At my LFS they call them "green cories". I guess they would prefer other green cories than a different species?

What kind of cory cats do you have? Usually tetras only school if they have to. If there isnt a threat to them they usually wont school. You could also do a "centerpiece" fish, and the tetras might school more. A dwarf gourami could work. Agree with Lynda about the barbs, you might want to think about re-homing them. You could get some shrimp too.

OH emerald greens. They can get around 3'' and quite fat. You might want to think about skunk or pygmy cor cats.

They could be emerald corys or peppered corys. Google both to see which pics resemble yours.

A 14 gal tank has the same footprint as a 10 gal tank. I think it's pushing it to keep xray's and cherries in there, but it's definitely too small for emerald cories. They need a tank that's about 30" long or more.

They could be emerald corys or peppered corys. Google both to see which pics resemble yours.

Looks more like the emerald cories. I had three in there before, and was thinking two more to go with the one that survived.

A 14 gal tank has the same footprint as a 10 gal tank. I think it's pushing it to keep xray's and cherries in there, but it's definitely too small for emerald cories. They need a tank that's about 30" long or more.

Yes, I have heard this before. I had three at the time... And they lived for a while just fine before I got fin rot (or whatever it was) that killed two of them. I know they didn't just die from not having room or something like that, because their fins starting going away! Anyway, perhaps I should just stick with the one. I had one for a very long time, and he seemed fine on his own.

No, I'm not trying to say keeping them in a tank too small killed them. Just that they need more swimming room than your tank can provide. I would stick with the one, and then maybe add some smaller buddies for it such as habrosus cories.

No, I'm not trying to say keeping them in a tank too small killed them. Just that they need more swimming room than your tank can provide. I would stick with the one, and then maybe add some smaller buddies for it such as habrosus cories.

Ok, so he might enjoy "hanging out" with another species?

It's definitely better than no other cories, yes. Plus, if you can get some habrosus, they are just about the cutest little things you ever did see. :)

Back
Top Bottom