Scotch Guarding the fish to prevent staining . . .

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

donttaptheglass

Aquarium Advice Freak
I figured the subject line would grab some attention, but seriously, here's the deal . . .

Just got new living room furniture, couch, chair, loveseat, the whole bit, and we chose to Scotch Guard it ourselves rather than pay the extra billion dollars for "Stain Guard".

Question is this: This is the same room the 55 gallon tank is in. Now its a covered tank, but thats also a lot of surface area to be spraying a chemical on in the same room. Do you think the fumes will have any effect on the tank water. Overspray isn't really an issue as the tank is far enough away (especially after the 5 hour process of moving the fish, emptying the tank, moving it 2 feet to the left, refilling the tank, reacclimating the fish and then praying nobody died in the process), but I'm sure that the stuff will be flying all over the room anyway.

Any thoughts?

I don't think you'll have to worry about anything such as overspray, with a decent cover on the tank you should be fine, if you are really worried about it, just cover the exposed parts wit ha towel or osmething

tropicfishman said:
I don't think you'll have to worry about anything such as overspray, with a decent cover on the tank you should be fine, if you are really worried about it, just cover the exposed parts wit ha towel or osmething

I totally agree. Just take 2-3 large hefty trash bags, splice them with duct tape real good on the splice and just cover the whole thank, filter etc real good. If it hangs down enough, I wouldn't even tape it to the tank, just a piece of tape around the bottom of the bag around the tank should do it.

ya, or just put like a plastic sheet over the whole tank, and if you're worried about oxegen, put a bubler in there. should be fine for the 24 hours that takes most sprays to cure or whatever

Woah, putting a airstone in there is a bad idea. The fumes will get sucked into the air pump and go right in the water. With a tight seal and limited oxygen there will be trouble. Like has been said, just cover the tank, turn off any air pumps, and it will be fine.

oh crap! didnt even think of the fumes going thru the air pump. so ya, i'd say dont do that! geez, at least someone caught that one.

Just drape a sheet over it. Most of the particles from chemicals are probably big enough to get caught in the fibers of the sheet, while still letting oxygen in.

If you have an air pump, I'd just wrap it in a towel. If any of the aerosols get in the tank, then I HIGHLY doubt it'd get concentrated enough to effect your fish in any way.

Just a blanket over the tank will be fine. I've sprayed paint in the house, and the tanks were just fine. No problems.

Back
Top Bottom