New to the Hobby!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Froggy1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

Please for give my spelling errors if any. I am not the best at spelling and typing on a tablet.

I am new to the hobby and just wanted to share a little bit about what I have already done. I also have some questions that I would like some advice on.

My husbands Aunt started this, by buying my Husband an aquaponics kit.
He stared with a 10 or 20gallon then moved up to a 40g.

I started enjoying his fish so much that I figured I would get my own tank for my office to help with my Stress/Anxiety. So I picked up a 36 or 37 bowed front tank kit. That was great up until I added the Large decor that I liked but didnt quite fit in the fish tank so well. So I decided to go all out and buy a 55 gallon.

Best investment ever!

I curently have 2 baby plecos (Clown & something else) Hopefully not a comon because I know that they get huge.
1 Male Busy Nose (Currently in a 10gallon Sick Bay Tank) Not sure whats going on with him but, I pray I Dont lose him. Will ask for advice on him later on.

In the 55g - 4 Angel Fish, 10 neon Tetras, 4 diff types of catfish 5 total though because i couldnt resist the Panda babies.
1 Vamprie shrimp, 1 blue dream shrimp had 6 total but I think starting off the ph was off, not really sure but 5 disapeared.
I believe I have like 10 Dalmation Mollies, not sure how many Guppies male & females.
7 Female Bettas, A Zig Zag Eel (Eliot).
1 Male Koi Betta (Cory Koi) he stays in his own tank with in the 55 gallon tank due to aggresiveness.
2 red eye Tetras & I could go on & on.

I am prepared for being told I may have to many fish in a 55gallon and need to either up grade or move fish to another tank.

Any who I am happy with my tank but I would like some advice on.....

Feeding my zig Zag Eel - Eliot was doing good up until I got the Mollys - They are PIGS!
I have bought him a tube that gives the blood worms a chance to melt & sink to the bottom of the dish where he can get them while the others are occupied/distracted by the bloodworm holders in the back of the tank but he is just to slow to get to them. I tried a water bottle until a guppie & Molly got stuck in it and freaked out on me. I have been trying to work on hand feeding but my arm just gets to tired & then the guppies keep trying to eat my moles of my arm lol.

So Would like creative ideas or ways to feed my Eel please & thank you!

I am currently feeding him Blood worms so would like other ideas on what else they eat?

As for my bushy nose pleco he is in a sick bay tank with my other male betta. Both are being treated with Pimafix & Melafix & aquarium salt (All with recomended dosing/ followed instructions) I am going to be on day 7 tomorrow and then will do a water change. I think I am going to have to retreat tough due to the plecos wounds. He is pretty bad and I feel awful for letting him get that far.

So would like some other thoughts & ideas on how to treat him safely. His wounds were deep & bloody but now they are just white spots so not sure if that is the healing process or what.

I will try & add pictures when I can & when I figure this out.

Thanks for reading & offering advice if/when given.

Cant wait to read responces/ ideas!

Hi Froggy1,

Welcome!

There are so many things here.

Fisrt off I hope you can get some helpful information. I will start off with recommending the article in my signature. You are rolling right along but there are some things which might get you on a solid foundation.

The nitrification cycle is the #1 key for happy fish keeping. Covered in the article!

Please post the ill fish here
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f17/

General discussion
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/

Back
Top Bottom