SeaChem PRIME - Possible to overdose or build up in tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fprintf

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been using Prime for a few weeks to combat my town's chloramines. Due to my inability to measure or laziness, I have just been putting in 1 ml (one thread in the cap) with my 5 gallon water changes. Last night I splashed a little bit too much into my filter.

Two questions: 1. Is it possible to overdose on Prime when using reasonable amounts in a small, 20 gallon, aquarium? I am thinking 1 - 2 ml dissolved in the entire system each water change.

2. Since I have been doing 25% water changes every few days, is there any chance I have been building up the amount of Prime in my system and I should cut back?

Obviously the right answer is to accurately measure Prime the first time. But if I continue along the track that I am on, what are the risks?

Well, I've never heard anyone report that over dosing Prime, especially as a slight over dose, caused any problems.

I mean, look on the Prime label and it recommends 3x dose for removing heavy metals.
Plus, the 1ml per 10gallons is for removing X amount of chloramine. I'm lazy and never tested my tap water chloramine levels...so how do I know if a normal dose is enough to clear all my chlor?

I think the way you are dosing is perfectly fine, but try to avoid spilling extra in the tank.

Also, be aware that Prime does start taking on a kind of sulphury, rotten egg smell after a few weeks of being opened. This is perfectly normal, and it doesn't effect the potency of Prime. Its the dechlor I've been using for over a year now on all my tanks and it's great.

I use 1 ml per 5 gal because the city has a higher concentration of chloramines. You may want to contact your local water company and see what the level is that they use.

I'm going to start using Prime along with Stability to cycle my tank, heard good things about it...

The sulphur smell of the Prime won't make my tank water smelly though will it?

I probably put more than what I need to too and have no problems. I use a 5G bucket as well. I don't put it in my filter though. I pour mine in the bucket of water, then dump the bucket into the tank using a small pitcher til it gets close to the bottom, then pour the rest of the 5G bucket in.

What is Stability? Is that for ph? Don't use chemicals, a stable ph is better than fluctuating with chemicals. Also, it's not for cycling a tank. Bio Spira is the only product out there for that. Cycle doesn't work. If Stability is for ph, I wouldn't use it, and it doesn't cycle a tank.

Stability is for cycling a tank, looking around it seems a lot of people have a lot of good things to say about it and have had good results!

Yep, Stability by SeaChem is their answer to StressZyme and BioSpira, basically.

Never used it myself, but I always have used decorations and filter media for jumpstarting new tanks.

My friend Stuart has used Stability on a few new breeder/fry tanks, and loved it.

I use Prime also. However, in spite of what the ad said on the front, don't believe that Prime will inactivate nitrates! If you read the fine prints - Prime only detoxify ammonia & nitrites .... no mention of nitrates.

Also, Prime lasts only 24-48 hours in a tank <this is the reason you won't get buildup of Prime with prolonged use or mild overdose> .... while nitrates last a lot longer. IMO, only way to get rid of Nitrates is with water changes or plants.

I just started Prime and am reading directly off of the label

" Removes Chlorine, Chloramine, Ammonia"

" Detoxifies Nitrite and Nitrate"

"Provides Slime coat"

on the back label:

" Prime converts ammonia into a safe, non-toxic form that is readily removed by the tank's biofilter. Prime may be used during tank cycling to alleviate ammonia/nitrite toxicity. Prime detoxifies nitrite and nitrate, allowing the biofilter to more efficiently remove them."

"... is nonacidic and will not impact pH"

awesome stuff... in my 10 gallon i am currently having a minicycle due to changing filters (yes i used old filter media but it wasn't as much becuase it was a smaller filter") and thanks to the prime, i have not lost any fish, but I have completed the ammonia spike and am having a small nitrite spike. I simply dose double prime with each water change. (1ml for eacy 50% ,5 gallon, water change in my 10 gallon) of course... when the cycle is finished i will only dose 1/2 ml for every 5 gallon water change.

Oh and i use a 10cc syringe to measure the dose.

AshleyNicole said:
" Prime converts ammonia into a safe, non-toxic form that is readily removed by the tank's biofilter. Prime may be used during tank cycling to alleviate ammonia/nitrite toxicity. Prime detoxifies nitrite and nitrate, allowing the biofilter to more efficiently remove them."

Hm - you must have a new bottle ... my 2 year old one does mention nitrates in the front, but the fine prints did not mention nitrates at all.

However, based on what I know about chemistry - I would still be wary of the nitrate claim ..... For one - nitrate are not that toxic .... its problem is osmolar load & that will not be changed with chemical binding. Second - I've never heard of a biofilter removing nitrates ......

That is not to say that Prime isn't great - I think it is a great dechlorinator, just don't expect to avoid water changes. :D

Biofilters don't remove nitrates. There are only 2 things that remove nitrates, and that's PWC's, and plants. Prime just temporarily detoxifies nitrates so it's less harmful to fish, but it's not permanent. Only PWC's or plants will remove nitrates.

Back
Top Bottom