Second try failed...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hsherman1986

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I found more GBR's at a lfs in Dallas (i live closeby in Irving, TX), paid $50 for six of them. Here we are just over two weeks later, and I have three left :(

They were doing great at first, eating well, very active, I was convinced they were going to make it. Then one by one, they started dropping like flys. One a day for the past three days. I just flushed the third five minutes ago.

I guess this fish just isn't for me, and they are way too expensive for me to want to try again right now.

Maybe I will just go back and see if they have any bolivians?

Sorry to hear about your losses but it's not that unusual. If you read through the "German Blue Ram Discussion" in this forum, it identifies all of the known or suspected causes of this premature demise syndrome.

Bolivians are a nice fish on their own...get em if you can.

DeFeKt, They were in a 55g with angels, loaches, cories, and some mixed community fish (platies mostly).

Jchillen, I know it isn't that unusual, my first batch, i paid $30 for four of them, and they had all died within a week. Its just really disappointing.

They are really beautiful fish, and I would love to keep them, but for me, they are too expensive to keep trying. (i am supporting this hobby off a waitress living, which is very limited after paying the bills).

I will see if i can find some bolivians :D hopefully they will work out. They are the cousins that are much hardier, right?

Hey hsherman1986, Before you give up on the GBR what you can do and it's alot cheaper. Is find a pravate breeder to get them off of. There a stronger and healther ram then you'll get from your local fish store. Pravite breeders wil be able to get a cheaper deal. I know of a couple who sells really cheap. I know what you mean about a small amount to live on plus support this hobbie. I'm on SS and have limited funds as well. But it cn be done. If you find the right dealer.

I absolutely love GBRs.....I just can't stand losing them. I have vowed to never buy any more store bought specimens. They have to be homebred before I buy any more of them....

I just got some that were tank bred by a hobbyist of Aquabid and I can tell you right now that they seem way healthier and more active than the store bought ones that I had that died within two weeks. Tank bred by other hobbyists is the only way to go for GBR's! Check Aquabid.....it's pretty good.

crazyred said:
I just got some that were tank bred by a hobbyist of Aquabid and I can tell you right now that they seem way healthier and more active than the store bought ones that I had that died within two weeks. Tank bred by other hobbyists is the only way to go for GBR's! Check Aquabid.....it's pretty good.

I have to completely agree. The ones I got on aquabid were very healthy and active, and are still doing very well. :)

i may try that. I have to talk my fiancee into it. He is really bummed out about it too.

If I can talk him into it, and convince him that the ones on aquabid will be better than the store bought fish, then I will try again.

the first guy that you listed is one of the guys I was debating on purchasing my females from when I figured out that I got all males from the lfs.

I had also looked at the second guys auction, and had put him into the debate as well. Its all either them, or the guy that LWB bought his from.

I will have to think about it, and talk my fiancee into it before I decide. It will be a bit before I can lay out that chunk of money anyhow. I leave on vacation in less than a week, then I will have a stack of bills to pay as soon as I get home. :(

No offense, but I looked at the 2 listings that were given above, along with a few other auctions and the fish looked NOTHING like I thought they should. This is why I bid on this one: http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/closed.cgi?view_closed_item&fwcichlids1153527700

The picture is so clear and it vividly shows the great coloring of these fish. One of the parents is wild and I was told that the fish were very healthy. I am VERY happy that I won this auction. I bought 6 of them (3 males and 3 females) for a total of $44 after shipping. They were going for $8 or more each at the lfs and they were of poor quality compared to the ones in this auction. I will be getting these fish on Wednesday and I can't wait.

I think he had plenty so if you want I could ask him if he would sell some to you if you are interested. Just send me a PM or leave something on here. Maybe he will put up a new auction. I think he said that his rams are spawning every 2 weeks or so.

Back
Top Bottom