Set-up for a 10g tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lmacbeth

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all, sorry for all these questions but I want to get all my info right before I even think about starting my tank again!!

I have a 24x12x12 (inches) tank and a Fluval 2 filter.....

Just wondering what variety of fish I could think about getting? And how many? Could I plant it?
I have no heater or air pump, should I get them?

Any other advice/suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Just wondering what variety of fish I could think about getting? And how many?
Well the rule for freshwater is 1 inch of fish per gallon. So you could put no more the 10 smaller fish, or maybe five 2 inchers. As far as the variety, i would go with tetras and other small fish like rasboras. Neon tetras are colorful and if you have a bunch they will all swim together, same with the rasboras and most other small fish. I have attached 2 photos of the neons and rasboras. Remember since the tank is new it will need to cycle so you shouldn't add more then a few fish to start.
Could I plant it?
I'm sure that you could plant it if you wanted to. I myself have never planted a tank so i really don't know that much. Some plants need different lighting and need fertalizer or some other suppliment. Also it can affect the quality of the water for you fish.
I have no heater or air pump, should I get them?
Well depending on the temp in the room the tank will be in you probably should have a heater. A small one will do just fine. As far as the air pump its always a good idea to have some air going into the tank. You might wanna add an airstone.

Well I hope i helped a little, if you have any more questions feel free to post again, you will get your answer here.

Hi,
I want to add something here about neon tetras. They are pretty, but they are also very sensitive. I wouldn't start with neons unless you have stable water conditions. They also need a steady temp all the time. So, you will defenetly need a water heater if you are thinking about getting neons.

Good luck starting your tank! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom