Setting up a QT tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jasonw0w

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm setting up a 2 gallon quarantine tank for my 12.5 planted FW tank. Do I need to fully cycle the tank or will using water from my main tank at its next water change be enough? (My plan was to do my 25% water change on the main tank and use the last gallon from that combined with a gallon of new water to set up the QT tank)

I have a test kit and will be using that for a few days before adding fish to the QT. Also I was wondering what exactly to put in the tank as far as hiding places etc. I've heard not to put substrate in a QT/hospital tank.

Anyway - opinions?

The water from the established tank will not significantly help seed the tank but you could take a filter pad off of the main tank to put in the qt's filter if it will fit. And I would leave it completely bare.

Normally I would say that wouldn't work since the filters aren't compatible but a few weeks ago my main tank filter broke and I used the backup to filter it temporarly.

Now the backup is the "Bio-Bag" variety. I imagine the activated carbon in it is pretty old at this point. Now if keeping the older filter will help my tank cycle faster when should I replace this little filter again? Or should I just replace the carbon and keep the bag portion (which I imagine has a lot of the good bacteria).

Once I do this how will I know if my tank is cycling properly?

Back
Top Bottom