sex of these two medium angels?? And advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hennaartist

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm pretty sure the mostly white one is male because of the notch/bump on the forehead. I think the black and white one may be make as well, but not sure. They are currently the size of my palm (or hand if considering finage).
My real concern is not breeding them, but rather if they will continue to get along. They do occasionally nip each other but nothing serious. If they are both males, do you think they'll continue to co-exist peacefully?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408505420.205216.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408505420.205216.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 76
  • ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408505509.955958.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408505509.955958.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 78
Yes, single gender tanks are preferred if breeding is not in your future and male only tanks are even better than female only. There is a hierarchy with Angels and what you see as "nipping" may be just a friendly reminder of who is the boss of the tank. As long as they get along, they should continue to do so. This however could change if another Angels is put in the tank and it turns out to be of the opposite gender.
Based on the pics, it does look like the darker fish is a male however, the lighter one is suspect. What you can do is to look at the fish, from above, before their first meal of the day. A female, gravid with eggs, should have an obvious bulge in her abdominal area before she eats while a male should have a slender appearance down the entire side of the body. The caviat to this is if the fish are under a year old. They may not have reached sexual maturity yet so sexing them is not going to be guaranteed by any method.

Hope this helps (y)

Back
Top Bottom