Sexing for young bristlenose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Freddie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I was at my lfs today 2 build up my school of tiger barbs & I saw that they were selling albino bristlenose for $8 each. It was such a steal, I couldnt resist! But im curious, because there were 2 left, a long slender 1, & a short stocky 1. I got the stocky 1. So does this mean that hes a male, or could this just be random chance? Any help would b greatly appreciated! Thnx!

From all I know, the only way to sex a bristlenose pleco is to wait until the fish is old enough to possibly develop bristles. Bristles means male, no bristles means female. IME they start to develop bristles (if they are going to) when they get to be 2-3 inches.

bud29 said:
From all I know, the only way to sex a bristlenose pleco is to wait until the fish is old enough to possibly develop bristles. Bristles means male, no bristles means female. IME they start to develop bristles (if they are going to) when they get to be 2-3 inches.

Thats what ive been reading. But the different body shapes have me confused :/

Ill do that it doesnt really matter 2 me im mostly just wandering about the body shape

Thnx the 2 there were the same age & he/she was noticably stockier & shorter than the other I noticed

Back
Top Bottom