White fin on bristlenose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

minyip

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I have a young bristlenose (probably around 2.5 inches) and he has a damaged fin. The fin seems ripped or eaten away and it seems to be very pale/white as well. I'm not sure whether it's fin rot or just damage. Any other suggestions are welcome. If it is a disease, some advice on treatment would also be great. I'll attach some pictures below of his fin as I haven't described it very well. I have another Bolivian ram in the same tank that had some fin damage (not sure if he came with it or got it in a squabble with the other ram) which healed over a few days, so I wouldn't think the water is the issue if that fish was able to heal so quickly in it. I could be wrong though.

Other info:
Tank parameters are ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 5-10ppm, pH 7, temp 25.5 C (77.9 F).
Tank is 33g, been set up for about 2 months. It has an inbuilt top filter with 1100L/Hr flow rate. Also has a sponge filter in the tank. There are also various plants in the tank (java fern, monte carlo, anubias, lindernia rotundifolia, crypt).

Other fish: 7 rummy-nose, 8 danios, 2 bolivian rams (2-2.5 inches in size).
Last water change was 2 weeks ago, 25% and vacuumed. Have also topped up water since then. Still not on an official water change schedule as I haven't worked out my tank's needs just yet due to the regular addition of new fish. I keep an eye on parameters. No spikes, nitrates have never been above 20ppm.

I've had the fish for about a month. He's been happy the whole time, eating well and moving around. Floated him for 20 minutes and then scooped in some tank water every 15 minutes for an hour and a half when I got him.
Only new thing in the tank is the sponge filter.
He eats 1/4- 1/2 an algae wafer every day. Plenty of driftwood in the tank too.

Attachments

• DSC00946.jpg
    DSC00946.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC00947.jpg
    DSC00947.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC00950.jpg
    DSC00950.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 17
Back
Top Bottom