Sexing Scarlet Badis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Blackworms and tubifex are the same worm. I along with multitudes of people have never had problems with them, the biggest thing is keeping their water clean, the whole lot can sour in a couple days if you don't. They aren't really an ideal size for scarlets because most are as big or bigger than the fish, unless you will be cutting them into more manageable pieces. Frozen or live bbs, grindal worm and smaller whiteworms are better choices.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Blackworms and tubifex are the same worm. I along with multitudes of people have never had problems with them, the biggest thing is keeping their water clean, the whole lot can sour in a couple days if you don't. They aren't really an ideal size for scarlets because most are as big or bigger than the fish, unless you will be cutting them into more manageable pieces. Frozen or live bbs, grindal worm and smaller whiteworms are better choices.

They are the same? Why was nils recommending one and not the other? That's fishy. Anyway, I already threw them out... :(

I have my eyes on a grindal worm listing, but I need money first. Unfortunately I just paid everything I have toward rent...

They are the same? Why was nils recommending one and not the other? That's fishy. Anyway, I already threw them out... :(

I have my eyes on a grindal worm listing, but I need money first. Unfortunately I just paid everything I have toward rent...

Species wise they are 2 different worms, but I don't know of anywhere that sells actual tubifex worms, they are always blackworms. I apologize I probably should have explained that in my previous post.

Try froze cyclops. I had mine eating cyclops till I got my hands on the grindal.
I see you're in California. If you're close, I can hook you up with some grindals. I'm in the San Fernando valley, L.A.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Try froze cyclops. I had mine eating cyclops till I got my hands on the grindal.
I see you're in California. If you're close, I can hook you up with some grindals. I'm in the San Fernando valley, L.A.

Ok my dumb question: buy frozen cyclops or buy cyclops and freeze?

Rachel, it's odd that being in California you can't find blackworms, there are only two blackworm farms in the country, both being in California. Here's a link to one of those farms' site http://aquaticfoods.com/

Sorry! I didn't know that they were both tubifex species, just I read everywhere that bloodworms are tubifex...strange. My bad sorry. I actually set up a blackwork culture today, and all I did was take aged water, a glass jar, an air stone and some brown, none ink or bleached coffee filter paper and I put them right in. My puffer already ate three and they are all alive and okay. You can check around on ebay and amazon for white worm, grin dal and blackwork cultures and I'll bet you'll find some. There are also banana worms, but I believe they are smaller, which may be good for you badis. Hope I helped!

Nils

Sorry! I didn't know that they were both tubifex species, just I read everywhere that bloodworms are tubifex...strange. My bad sorry. I actually set up a blackwork culture today, and all I did was take aged water, a glass jar, an air stone and some brown, none ink or bleached coffee filter paper and I put them right in. My puffer already ate three and they are all alive and okay. You can check around on ebay and amazon for white worm, grin dal and blackwork cultures and I'll bet you'll find some. There are also banana worms, but I believe they are smaller, which may be good for you badis. Hope I helped!

Nils

My initial post wasn't a clear explanation, I corrected it in the one that followed, but the gist of it was that I don't know of anyone that sells tubifex anymore. Whether they are sold as tubifex or live bloodworm they will be farm raised blackworms.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Cyclops was one of the ones I was looking for, with no luck.

Is Long Beach too far?

My initial post wasn't a clear explanation, I corrected it in the one that followed, but the gist of it was that I don't know of anyone that sells tubifex anymore. Whether they are sold as tubifex or live bloodworm they will be farm raised blackworms.

So then I probably had blackworms that looked like tubifex but were sold as bloodworms. haha. I might buy some more of them from the shop in that case...And this time, I'll keep them in a cooler with rotated frozen water bottles instead of the fridge. The house owners already don't like that I have fish. I think they would flip out if they discovered worms in the fridge...

Found some neat info on them: http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/lumbriculus

"Blackworms will clear strands of Java Moss of detritus and algae, leaving it fresh and bright green again. I've taken to leaving a loose mat of Java Moss in their tray, and my impression is, that they stay in better condition and I rarely wash away a dead one now." Wow, I need more of these. :)

I have mine in a glass jar with a lid, an air pump and stone, and they get along fine. For substrate I have coffee filter paper, brown and unbleached. I also threw a sponge in their, and overnight they moved from one big clump to anchoring themselves in the sponge. My setup is good and better than the fridge method.

Nils

I have mine in a glass jar with a lid, an air pump and stone, and they get along fine. For substrate I have coffee filter paper, brown and unbleached. I also threw a sponge in their, and overnight they moved from one big clump to anchoring themselves in the sponge. My setup is good and better than the fridge method.

Nils

I prefer not to keep mine in the fridge also, but I use a 5 gallon, sponge filter and airstone.

The fish have settled into the tank well and have both colored up nicely. I think it is very safe to say that my "female" is indeed a younger male. If it's a girl, then it's the reddest girl in the world.

They won't fight each other, will they?

Attachments

• scarlet badis.jpg
    scarlet badis.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 54
The fish have settled into the tank well and have both colored up nicely. I think it is very safe to say that my "female" is indeed a younger male. If it's a girl, then it's the reddest girl in the world.

They won't fight each other, will they?

They do look like two males. How are they acting towards each other?

Once they mature they both might become aggressive for space and hiding spaces.

Nils

I was wondering about that too. I have 1M/2F and have the opportunity to get more but I'm still undecided.

There's no aggression from what I can tell...Yet. I wonder if I could move one to my community tank if they do become aggressive. But the better option for the fish might be to just take it back to the store. Would a single badis do alright by itself? :(

How large is the community tank and what is the stock?

20 gallong long with a bolivian ram, endlers, a few kuhli loaches and a few harlequin rasbora. It's well planted, but the ram might be too much for a little badis to deal with and it might hide all the time, so it would be hard to find and feed...

Back
Top Bottom