Shame Shame Eat your veggies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDogg

Aquarium Advice Addict
well once or twice a week i try to feed my fish veggies.

after a couple of days i take them out, all slimy, and throw them away, after of course they have decomposed a little raising my nitrates....!

any trick you us to get your fish to eat there veggies?

i feed Zucchini , frozen corn, peas, lima beans and carrots

tia

No tricks, I put a small slice of cucumber in with 3 swordtails and 3 otos yesterday and its gone now.

When I feed veggies, no other food is fed that day. If feeding large slices of zucchini, I make sure it is secure and cannot float away.

If feeding lettuce or spinnach, freeze it first then warm it by running it under cold tap water. This will make it moist and a little mushy.

When feeding peas I take the outer layer of the pea off before I toss them in the tank and all the fish go crazy over them.

Yeah, they can't eat them with the skin on. I nuke my peas for a couple of minutes in the microwave, let them cool, skin them and then throw them in the tank in the evening. I think all of them like it in my tank except for the frog and the pictus. The shrimp even like them.

Does anyone feed broccoli ? I believe that broccoli has higher than avg calcium for a veggie. I'm trying to figure out a way to feed the snails some calcium for their shells and thought broccoli might work - but I've never seen it mentioned as being fed to fish, so just in case its bad please let me know

joannde said:
Does anyone feed broccoli ? I believe that broccoli has higher than avg calcium for a veggie. I'm trying to figure out a way to feed the snails some calcium for their shells and thought broccoli might work - but I've never seen it mentioned as being fed to fish, so just in case its bad please let me know
i tried some frozen broccoli once, they eat none of it, atleast my plecos and bolivian ram eat some of the others veggies (i am most worried about my tiger barb who suffers from gass and my angels who taste, but spit out veggies)

Back
Top Bottom