Shell Dwelling Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

henningc

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just purchased so Multis-Neolamprologus Multi.

If you have experience with these please PM me with bes advice or leave it here.

Thanks

Have nothing in the tank but sand and shells and multis. They're best in a species tank and they'll dig up EVERYTHING. Otherwise, no advice needed, my multies thrive and breed no matter what I put them through.

Shellies

Just purchased so Multis-Neolamprologus Multi.

If you have experience with these please PM me with bes advice or leave it here.

Thanks

Since Lamprologus Multifasciatus keep so low to the substrate, a species-only tank was too boring for me. (Plus they are fairly plain and light-colored.) I researched suitable tankmates, and to my 10 Shellies I added 5 Julidichromis marlieri and 6 Cyprichromis leptosoma tricolor Mpimbwe. These and a couple Ancistrus and Ghost Shrimp are in a 40 gallon landscaped with crushed oyster shell and 3 different sands (recommend one sand, lol), plus lace rock, slate, plants (which are not in their native biotope but I like the look), and of course SHELLS! I use Escargo, whale eyes, and miscellaneous other natural shells I had collected in the past. My favorite is the coral sand I got most recently, and my least favorite (very poor choice) is the play sand from Home Depot. Cheap, but I would avoid it. Silica sand is really nice, too. I have some in the mix.

I am a little divided about species-only tanks. In some cases they can be necessary (like Brichardi unless you have a pretty large tank), but to me it is more natural to have fish living with other types of fish ... plus more interesting for the human. Just my personal feeling. Either way will be great for you, but I think a 30 long or a 40 regular will be the minimum size if you want to add other species.

They grow pretty slow compared to some fish. It will take about 6 - 8 weeks to notice much change in your juveniles. I have no experience with fry, yet. I got mine bigger than fry size, and they are not sexually mature yet (but close). It may be that I will not see the level of breeding that I would in a species tank. You have to decide what your main purpose for keeping them it. For me, I would certainly love it if they have babies, but the tank is kind of a specimen or display tank for my own pleasure (and of course the well-being of the fish is paramount to me). I keep a close eye on what is going on, and shoot much more video than I can edit and get uploaded to YouTube, but you are welcome to see my Shellies in action at https://youtu.be/haujzyIMmKY (shows their original tank when I first got them, a 16 gal bowfront. Was NOT happy with them in there) and https://youtu.be/7ZMGIl2xQwI the 40 g although the aquascape has changed quite a lot and I need to edit and upload a new video! They have also grown since the last video.

Watching will give you some idea of what it's like to live with them and how they behave and interact. If you have any specific questions now or as you go along, feel free to DM me.

Back
Top Bottom