Should I add more dwarf gouramis?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

samt1

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi Guys, I unfortunately lost my male Dwarf Gourami, he was ill for a few days and died yesterday :(
I've made a few changes to the tank in response to this trying to think of causes but think it was just bad luck.

My tank is a Fluval Roma 90 litre (20-23gallon) currently with the internal U2 filter but soon will be upgrading to an external Fluval 205.
Now my stocking is:
2 Dalmatian Mollies (1 baby)
1 Female Dwarf Gourami
2 Zebra Loaches
1 Clown Loach
1 Clown Plec
3 Guppy's (all male)
6 Neon Tetra's

My question is should I get another male Dwarf Gourami for the female or was thinking or adding another Zebra Loach as told they go better with 3 or more?

Most loaches, such as clowns and zebras, should be stocked in groups of 5 or more. Unless it's the "hovering zebra loach" and not the "zebra loach", then they are too big for your tank. Clown loaches are way too large for your tank and will certainly be stunted if kept in there long term. I recommend rehoming the loaches.

I think the tank is too small for mollies as well, but it's not nearly as bad of a situation as it is with the loaches, but I would definitely avoid adding anymore mollies.

You can add a new male for her if you'd like, but you don't have to.

2 DG's, 2 mollies, 1 clown pleco, 3 guppies, and 6 neons pretty much stock your tank. With the upgraded filtration I would say you could add a small bottom dweller, such as 6 panda cories or 5 kuhli loaches.

Hi Guys, thanks for the replies.
Sorry I didn't check what I had typed before posting, I don't have a Clown Loach, don't know why I put that?

I have:
2 Dalmatian Mollies (1 baby)
1 Female Dwarf Gourami
2 Zebra Loaches (Attached a Picture of the ones I have)
1 Clown Plec
3 Guppy's (all male)
6 Neon Tetra's

I was told by 2 shops that the Zebra Loaches I have would be fine and never been told that the Mollies are wrong for the tank, they were suggested to me on more than 1 occasion.

Attachments

• 2101_zebra_loach.jpg
    2101_zebra_loach.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 268
Well..you have now ;) The mollies aren't as big of a deal. Especially since it is only 2. I consider 29 gals the minimum for them since they are larger livebearers, reaching 3-4" with a large bio-load for a fish that size. I would just avoid adding more.

You're right to ask for advice about the fish on here, instead of in the shops, because they are in the business of selling fish and not educating. A tank that size just doesn't accomodate 5 zebra loaches, and they shouldn't be stocked in groups smaller than that. A smaller bottom dweller like panda cories or kuhli loaches are much better suited to your tank.

Thanks for you reply, I get so frustrated with all this because everyone you speak to gives you a different opinion on what you can have what you can't have in a tank, what is to big or small etc etc so don't think you will ever get it right. The fish I have at the moment, Zebra's in particular seem very active and happy enough full of life etc, the same goes for the Mollies so I'm going to leave the tank as it is for now and let them carry on how they go.
Not saying at all that I don't value everyone's opinion who takes the time to read and reply because I assure you I do. You certainly know more than me, I just have yet t speak to 2 people and get the same answer regarding a particular subject :(

Thanks for you reply, I get so frustrated with all this because everyone you speak to gives you a different opinion on what you can have what you can't have in a tank, what is to big or small etc etc so don't think you will ever get it right. The fish I have at the moment, Zebra's in particular seem very active and happy enough full of life etc, the same goes for the Mollies so I'm going to leave the tank as it is for now and let them carry on how they go.
Not saying at all that I don't value everyone's opinion who takes the time to read and reply because I assure you I do. You certainly know more than me, I just have yet t speak to 2 people and get the same answer regarding a particular subject :(

the best thing you can do is educate YOURSELF. there is so much information on this site as well as using google and other fish sites on the internet. get all the information you can and then make your own decisions. if you are thinking about adding a fish you can find fish profiles by googling that breed of fish. it will tell you all the requirements the fish has and lots of information on how to keep the fish. you really need to take the time to do your own research. (y)

jpchin said:
the best thing you can do is educate YOURSELF. there is so much information on this site as well as using google and other fish sites on the internet. get all the information you can and then make your own decisions. if you are thinking about adding a fish you can find fish profiles by googling that breed of fish. it will tell you all the requirements the fish has and lots of information on how to keep the fish. you really need to take the time to do your own research. (y)

+1
It really is the best thing to do. Read as much as you can on the subject, then if you still have questions or are not too sure about something, ask away!

+1
It really is the best thing to do. Read as much as you can on the subject, then if you still have questions or are not too sure about something, ask away!

totally agree. people are always available and happy to help on this site. they've helped me several times BUT you need to do your own homework first. :flowers:

Great advice. For example, I did a search for "minimum tank size for zebra loaches" and every link on the first page said they need a tank much longer than yours. Of course there's bad info out there too, but when virtually every source online says they need larger than what you are providing, it's a safe bet that they do. ;)

Thanks again guys, I will certainly look more into fish before I get them. I'm not going to add anything more for the time being, everyone in there seems happy, active, eating well.
My next step is to install the Fluval 205 filter I have, that will make a big difference I'm hoping.

Back
Top Bottom