Should I get another bolivian ram to keep mine company?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tropical

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I know that question sounds kind of stupid. I have a 20 long with a female ram, 4 platy, and 6 neon tetras. Should I get a male ram to keep the female company?

I don't want them to breed, and as my water conditions aren't optimal for their breeding I don't think they will. Is there anything else I can do to prevent breeding? I don't have any large stones in the tank for her to lay eggs on.

Not necessary, but I think it'd be fine in a 20 long. Either with a male or another female. Nothing you can do to prevent breeding if you add a male. Happy, mature fish usually will all on their own accord. A second female would eliminate the issue.

HN1 said:
Not necessary, but I think it'd be fine in a 20 long. Either with a male or another female. Nothing you can do to prevent breeding if you add a male. Happy, mature fish usually will all on their own accord. A second female would eliminate the issue.

+1

I would add a second female.

You can get one if you wan't because it won't be overstocked too much. If you dont want them to breed just get one the same gender

Would there be agression issues?

If they did breed, would the fry need anything special? Could I just let nature take it's course and sell the survivors once they are old enough? Would they breed a lot?

You can leave the fry in the tank if they do have.

Would there be agression issues?

If they did breed, would the fry need anything special? Could I just let nature take it's course and sell the survivors once they are old enough? Would they breed a lot?

Minor, but bolivians are fairly relaxed for cichlids and the footprint of the 20 long offers plenty of territory. Yes, you can let "nature run it's course" and trade or sell the survivors. I haven't spawned those yet, but based on apisto breeding habits you're likely to get 1-2 succesful (to free swimmer) spawns a year or a few more unsuccessful spawns. JME

Back
Top Bottom