Shrimp or pleco?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ya my sister in law gave them to me and she took them out of her tank and doesn't remember what thy are but I have 5 yellow something's 1 crown tail beta 5 red eye tetras and 2 guppies.

I dont think any pleco of any species should be in a tank smaller then a 40 gallon, so no plecos, try the shrimp if you wish, ghosts would be ideal as they are inexpensive so If your Betta does decide to snack on them it won't be an expensive treat for him. Find out what those fish are, you could also try a single apple snail or nerite snail but they may also be picked on

My best guess on the "yellow somethings" is female red glass barb, and don't let the "red" fool you, males get a reddish hue to their overall yellow coloring, I may be wrong, that's just my best guess

I think you could add say 8 shrimp, but be warned IF the Betta starts eating them he will most likely end up leaving you with no shrimp. Have you decided what your going to do with your other tank yet? Post your final stocking ideas for both tanks :)

Algae is often from too much light, too much food, not enough water changes.

No fish or snail will be a magic fix IMHO.

I would recommend Otos or Pitbull Plecos ( both are very small). Nerite Snails are great. For Shrimp, Amanos are big and may be safe. But Shrimp like live plants and won't eat hard types of Algae. Except Nerites, most Algae eater critters only eat soft green algae. My Nerites are the best at cleaning walls.

Live plants can also compete with Algae.

Ya I am getting a 90 gallon after I work durring the summer and through harvest at the winery I work since I am in college now I can't afford it. Since the red tailed shark is still a baby he won't need to transfer to a bigger tank for a while he isn't even an inch yet. And as for the rest of the 30 I am taking the plattys out and putting in 3 more tiger barbs making it a school of 7 and one more black skirt tetra making it a school of 6. Them for the 20 i haven't decided yet might take the yellow something's out and replace them with something

a.tetreault said:
I dont think any pleco of any species should be in a tank smaller then a 40 gallon, so no plecos, try the shrimp if you wish, ghosts would be ideal as they are inexpensive so If your Betta does decide to snack on them it won't be an expensive treat for him. Find out what those fish are, you could also try a single apple snail or nerite snail but they may also be picked on

Let's not be extreme. I personally don't keep plecos, but a quick google search shows there are hundreds of pleco species, many of which do not require such large tanks.

People are here for good info :) let's give it to them.

The ones most often sold are not appropriate for small tanks, though. Do you have any info to share about plecos?

I would suggest shrimp over plecos. Plecos usually do produce a lot of waste.

The ones most often sold are not appropriate for small tanks, though. Do you have any info to share about plecos?

I would suggest shrimp over plecos. Plecos usually do produce a lot of waste.

That's very true. Don't always trust the LFS. Do your research.

A quick google search will give more than I can offer.

I know far more about invertebrates like shrimp.

I was giving good advice, I believe because they are such high waste producers they should be in nothing less then a 40 gallon, that is not extreme at all. There isn't enough room in that tank for any pleco when you consider the waste they produce. Maybe in a 20 gallon with only neons or something of that sort but not in this tank

Back
Top Bottom