Shrimp tank help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jakester334

Aquarium Advice Regular
I managed to get my freinds 20g long tank that he is getting rid of and decided to possible start a red cherry shrimp colony in it. Since ive never keep shrimp before was just wondering what all I would need etc....

Its not too hard really, just get 10-20 and watch your population grow!

Is it only a shrimp tank? Thats alot of room for only shrimp, especially in a 20 long!

I know its alot of room lol. But I figured a free 20g long tank is still a free tank lol. Anyways its completly drained etc....was wondering what kind of substrate to use? If java moss would be the best plants to use? If sponge filters are better for shrimp tanks?

jakester334 said:
I know its alot of room lol. But I figured a free 20g long tank is still a free tank lol. Anyways its completly drained etc....was wondering what kind of substrate to use? If java moss would be the best plants to use? If sponge filters are better for shrimp tanks?

Substrate-i recommend sand
Filtration-a high gph spong filter, yes
Plants-java moss, moss balls, java ferns..and whatever else you want!:)

Thats alot of room! Maybe add some nano fish that wouldnt eat your shrimplets!

Substrate-i recommend sand
Filtration-a high gph spong filter, yes
Plants-java moss, moss balls, java ferns..and whatever else you want!:)

Thats alot of room! Maybe add some nano fish that wouldnt eat your shrimplets!

Like what? Guppies? Mollies?Platties?

jakester334 said:
Like what? Guppies? Mollies?Platties?

You could do guppies, but nano fish are like celestrial pearl danios, or threadfin rainbows. That kind of thing

Guppies will tear shrimp apart and I wouldn't recommend them in a shrimp tank. Females will gang up on adult shrimp even to take them down. I would go with no fish and shrimp only if it were me.

I feel that a 20L is the perfect shrimp breeding tank. Same footprint as a 29g but is shorter. It opens up a lot of possibilities. You might put either play sand, pool filter sand, or Tahitian moon sand (this one might encourage dark red colors in RCS) as a substrate. Eco-complete and ADA Amazonia work well for a planted tank if you choose to do that. Add in some driftwood, some larger rounded stones, some leaves if you like, and even some low light plants like anubia, crypts, mosses, ferns, etc. and you have a great start.

I also recommend a sponge filter. Either a sponge filter or nothing in my opinion. If nothing, you must have plants or keep up on PWC's. You also don't need a heater if you can maintain the temp of the tank above about 60 degrees, which seems to be about the temp where their breeding ceases.

You could do some chili rasboras, I have them in my shrimp tank and they are awesome lol IMO you could probably do about 17-20 of them. They're bioload is super small:)

Sounds like a plan. What do you all think about a mix of tiger shrimp and red cherry shrimp? Or maybe just a colony of one of those?

jakester334 said:
Sounds like a plan. What do you all think about a mix of tiger shrimp and red cherry shrimp? Or maybe just a colony of one of those?

Both sound good, but i am not sure if they would crossbreed or not! Hopefully someone can help with that:)

bs6749 said:
Guppies will tear shrimp apart and I wouldn't recommend them in a shrimp tank. Females will gang up on adult shrimp even to take them down. I would go with no fish and shrimp only if it were me.

Interesting! Thanks for telling me, i had no idea:)

Both sound good, but i am not sure if they would crossbreed or not! Hopefully someone can help with that:)

Only shrimp of the same genus can interbreed. Tiger shrimp, blue tiger shrimp, a form of green shrimp, crystal shrimp, bee shrimp, and some other not so common shrimp belong to the genus, Caridina. Pick one of these per tank.

Red cherry shrimp, yellow shrimp, blue pearl shrimp, snowball shrimp, and a few other not so common shrimp belong to the genus Neocaridina. Pick one of these per tank.

You could do that, tiger shrimp are from the cardina family, red cherry shrimp are from the neocardina family. Shrimp will only interbreed if they are from the same family. So as an example, tiger shrimp will interbreed with crystal red shrimp (they are both cardina) tiger shrimp are slightly harder to take care of. If you are just starting out with shrimp, I would advise you to stay with RCS for now as they are a hardy, forgivable shrimp:) tiger shrimp are a bit more sensitive. Also, I've read that shrimp from the cardina family are harder to take care of than neocardina shrimp. I think tiger shrimp are soft water shrimp too. RCS prefer hard water. Hope that helps!!:)

Back
Top Bottom