Silly CAE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shellieca

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm looking at my 46g aquarium & I notice that in one corner there's a hole in the gravel which is unusual because it always settles back a day or so after a water change & vac. Well, I see one of my Golden Chinese Algae Eaters come to the corner scavenging & just start throwing gravel all over the place. I don't know what's under there but he or she is determined to get to it. I know many people don't like the CAE's but I'm quite fascinated with them. The only slight aggression I've seen is the larger one chase the smaller one away on occasion other than that all is good & peaceful.

I had 2 sold to me that were suppose to be SAEs.
All mine did were hide all the darn time, though I know as they get older and bigger(there were less than 2 inches) they can get very nasty. I had actually thought they were flying foxes at first because those are common mix ups, than realized they were CAEs. Once I realized the size they were going to get and how they would not be good for my tank long term I returned them.

My CAE's are fine in my community. I have had them for 6months.

One is nearly 5" and the other around 2.5".

My larger CAE chases my smaller CAE. I can only assume the size difference could indicate m/f.

They have tried burrowing a little from time to time. My larger has a crater under my Mopani that he moved.

image-3112791498.jpg

image-954774925.jpg

image-4200947803.jpg

image-2752091188.jpg

Jon

i had bought 2 for my 29 gal. i didnt like them very much because after about 3 months they stopped eating algae, i no longer had a use for them as i have loaches as bottom feeders, so i rehomed them and got an albino BNP and i love it.

Back
Top Bottom