Silver Dollar ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CHBGator

Aquarium Advice Activist
ok I have 7 Silver dollars all sold as Metynnis argenteus, Which I'm now seeing as incorrect. (go figure) I've read the description of Metynnis argenteus, and none of the 7 fit the bill. Here is the best pic I could get.

img_846234_0_60da8784e5db2927bc4517a3fd41229a.jpg

2 (group A) of the 7 are different from the other 5(group B), if you look at the pic you can see that the fish are in a V formation of sorts with 4 on the left side and 3 on the right. the 4 on the left and the one at the top on the right are the same and the other 2 on the right are the same. Here is where I have the problem calling them Metynnis argenteus. from all the descriptions I have read Metynnis argenteus don't have red anal fins that curve away from the body and have silver tips as group B do along with a curving hook like dorsal fin that is also turning black on the front edges. Group A lack this anal and dorsal fin curvature and black coloring on the dorsal fin, also their soft dorsal fins are set on a hump if you will that is elevated off the curve of the body much more distinctly than Group B where as their soft dorsals sit on more of a continuous curve of the body leading to the caudal fin. I also notice that the caudal fins themselves are different where as Group A are more sweeping and a deeper v shape then the other 2. and the last thing I notice is that Group B body color is much more of a pure silver than Group A which have an almost black shade to them. Its not extremely important to know but lets face it I'm like a few of you out there that this will drive INSANE till I get it figured out. So I either have 2 different species of Silver dollar or its a sexual difference of which neither are Metynnis argenteus. Thanks!

EDIT: I also just noticed that the eyes are different. Group A have larger eyes and a much more prominent vertical black band going through the eye.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom