Silver Hatchet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alo96

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello, does someone have information about Silver Hatchets? I read its profile in LiveAquaria and it says that the Care Level is difficult, so I wanted to know how difficult it is and what do I need. Btw I am a beginner.

I think the difficultly rating, in this case, comes from the combination of a few things... they are schooling fish, are jumpers, prefer floating foods, like floating plants and above all are fairly sensitive to water conditions. I would maintain a weekly water change schedule with these fish, no skipping.

What size tank do you have? They also aren't fond of bright light, which is another reason why you need to get some floating plants if you decide to get them. They also jump less when they have floating plant cover as they feel more secure.

I have an 80 gallon tank. What kind of floating plants? What is an alternative to floating plants because I live in Guatemala and there is not much plant variety.

I'm planning on getting marbled hatchetfish, very similar species, later today. I'll tell you about them next week.

I have an 80 gallon tank. What kind of floating plants? What is an alternative to floating plants because I live in Guatemala and there is not much plant variety.

You can float almost any stem plant along with water sprite and wisteria. Also if you have any Tiger Lotus there, you could plant one and let some leaves go to the surface as floaters. Another idea is if you have Jungle Val available the leaves can grow 2-3 foot long and make a great floating cover. Off the top of your head do you know what kinds of plants you have available?

I have/had a small school of silver hatchets. I started with 3 (not much of a school I know) anyways the only way mine have died is jumping out of the tank. I still have one of them he is almost 2 years old and is almost 2.5 inches long.
Floating food is a must for my long bellied friend, he won't eat anything below the surface of the water including brine shrimp (live or freeze dried). My hatchet does not seem to be bothered one bit by my bright lights and lack of floating plants.
I find him schooling with my rasboras and neon rainbows sometimes, which I think is interesting.

As a side not I have not been able to find more in order to increase their school.

Last edited:
Fish can adjust to most situations if they don't have a choice. In ideal conditions they prefer dimmer light and floating plants. I kept Marbled Hatchets for years, as they were my favorite, and found the security of floating plants helped jumping issues alot. A secure lid goes a long way too, which is why I no longer keep them... I have open tanks now.

You can float almost any stem plant along with water sprite and wisteria. Also if you have any Tiger Lotus there, you could plant one and let some leaves go to the surface as floaters. Another idea is if you have Jungle Val available the leaves can grow 2-3 foot long and make a great floating cover. Off the top of your head do you know what kinds of plants you have available?

The only ones that I can think of and seen recently are Amazon Swords, and Elodea (Dont know if it is called the same).

I'm planning on getting marbled hatchetfish, very similar species, later today. I'll tell you about them next week.

That's awesome!!!! I was just telling some one on the forums the other week how I never see the marble's any more!!! Where did you find them? LFS or on line?? Just curious. They are a real neat fish!

That's awesome!!!! I was just telling some one on the forums the other week how I never see the marble's any more!!! Where did you find them? LFS or on line?? Just curious. They are a real neat fish!

I hadn't seen any in quite some time either but a couple months ago they started popping up at LFS's. I think they might be a seasonally available fish.

They've been at my LFS for months, as long a I've been buying fish, I've seen and wanted them.

You should ask the store if they can special order them in. Many stores will do that.

Back
Top Bottom