Sinibotia's & MissGurnus's various builds!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If your breeding plans go accordingly, a way to cull would be nice. Pike top minnows (Belonesox belizanus) if you want several fish, could even have it planted! Of course the wet pet cichlid idea is always top contender as well, hard to go wrong that route..

Jesse

If your breeding plans go accordingly, a way to cull would be nice. Pike top minnows (Belonesox belizanus) if you want several fish, could even have it planted! Of course the wet pet cichlid idea is always top contender as well, hard to go wrong that route..

Jesse

Yeah, I'm thinking maybe wet pet bichir instead of cichlid though. MissGurnus had nothing but goldfish growing up (not properly cared for adult goldfish, but still) so she's definitely not gonna wanna do goldfish.

I love the idea of pike minnows, but those will be ridiculously hard to find- that, or I'll have to get them shipped.

My Senegal bichir is pretty boring to be honest. Its housed with some Molly's, danios, and a lone Angelfish. Bothers no one, and stays hidden in the plants and hardscape until feeding time. Couldn't imagine one alone solely as a wet pet.

Jesse

All fish are looking awesome guys!!
Rams look amazing, it doesn't get better than that! If you guys ever do get to breed those loaches make sure to put me on the waiting list for some :lol:
Poppa, just saw that pleco and it looks amazing! I can't spend $30 on a fish though even if it is normally $100 lol.

My Senegal bichir is pretty boring to be honest. Its housed with some Molly's, danios, and a lone Angelfish. Bothers no one, and stays hidden in the plants and hardscape until feeding time. Couldn't imagine one alone solely as a wet pet.

Jesse

Huh, I thought they were more interesting than that. Ok, I'll reconsider. Still open to suggestions, particularly for cull-consumers.

Thawing some brine shrimp in the ram tank. Hopefully that'll get them eating.

Edit: Nope. Still not hungry. Although it seems like they're picking at bits of that white fuzz still growing on my driftwood. Looks like the piggy blue angels get another cube of brine shrimp today ;)

Last edited:
Just wanted to throw this pic in here, it's personal fishkeeping history. My favorite fish ever, a sinibotia longiventralis named "Sneakers". (Of course it's a loach!) Randomly found this file the other day and have no idea how. Thought the picture was lost to the ages. This picture is from 2008, when I was 13; he died in 2009.

229593_1091654369705_5393_n.jpg

Don't get me wrong, Poly's are super cool, especially if you have several and they decide to snuggle and form a poly pile.

Jesse

12023176_896505350423600_1961460828_n.jpg

Remodeled 10 gallon, now with live plants per CB's recommendation! Some vals, java vern and java moss. Rams are not pleased but hopefully they like it better in the long run.

Ok I can read new posts now without being jealous of any pictures. Well almost any because that loach is sick!!

What about a jack dempsy wet pet? I may be way off on what they need, but I'm just throwing out names.

Ok I can read new posts now without being jealous of any pictures. Well almost any because that loach is sick!!

What about a jack dempsy wet pet? I may be way off on what they need, but I'm just throwing out names.

Yeah he was sick... RIP sneakers. If anyone finds any fish like those for sale let me know, I've seen them for sale maybe 3 times since I lost him.

Would a jack dempsey eat culls?

Wet pet idea, probably the king of all wet pets: Longspine porcupinefish. I know its salty and eventually youd have to rehome him but those things have so much personality. I was at my SW LFS and they had one, I stood in front of the tank playing with him for 10 minutes.

~ExoticAquarist, signing out

Wet pet idea, probably the king of all wet pets: Longspine porcupinefish. I know its salty and eventually youd have to rehome him but those things have so much personality. I was at my SW LFS and they had one, I stood in front of the tank playing with him for 10 minutes.

Salty is definitely not an option. And I don't like buying fish that I can't provide for long-term, so that would preclude it too.

Yes jacks will eat culls. My male JD who is probably 6" knocked out a group of 12 adult tiger barbs in just a few nights when they went head down/sleep mode. He is too slow to catch them otherwise. If wc's aren't an issue, I think an O makes the best wet pet from my experiences. They're like puppies, except wet. Super personable. My O would lay on the substrate and pout/sulk for hours if I moved things around inside the tank. I'll never forget walking up stairs one night around 3-4am peeking in the tank with a flash light. I had just done a heavy clearing and WC before bed. Popped the light on and there he laid. I was terrified it was dead until I touched him haha.

Jesse

Ok, one more adjustment. Hoping this will really help the rams with their skittishness. Black background for the tank:
12021995_896573417083460_7388022_n.jpg

I just would feel bad putting an oscar in a 55 unless it was the one I was gonna "save" from the ARC. It's kinda small for them, IMO.

Discus, Uaru, and Frontosa have been proven to be as intelligent as the average 3-5 year old child. i think you should do discus. They all have personalities and are def a wet pet.

And while I'm at it, another background. Not pure black, but black with roots and rocks. I like how it looks:

12033492_896577860416349_1629642752_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom