Skittish swordtails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rpgmomma8404

Aquarium Advice Activist
I went ahead and got more swordtails for my 29 gallon. I’ve had three in there for a couple of weeks. I wanted to get cories but that didn’t seem to be in my price range. So, now I have this problem. My first three swordtails have always been pretty skittish. They got worst when I transferred them out of my 15 g into my 29 g. I thought getting more swordtails would help this issue but it seems worst now. The new ones are really bad. It’s been a week now. They all started to jump almost out of the water when getting scared (when someone walks in the room, turning tank light on or off, turning the light in the bedroom on when the tank light is off, and just about anything sets them off). Any tips on what to do? I’ll post a picture of the tank. I don’t know if I just need more hiding spots for these guys to help out some but I’ve never know swords to be this fearful.

img_2733986_0_6b7b97d763009d9606efdef928c3e8cb.jpg

You have a pretty tank!!! Swordtails are naturally a very "scared" fish. It takes them a longer to get use to their surroundings, they might never. Is it possible that there are some kind of vibrations that are scaring them? Or maybe adding another cave type hiding place to make them feel more secure?

You have a pretty tank!!! Swordtails are naturally a very "scared" fish. It takes them a longer to get use to their surroundings, they might never. Is it possible that there are some kind of vibrations that are scaring them? Or maybe adding another cave type hiding place to make them feel more secure?

Only thing I could think of is maybe the air pump. I might have to try on of the other ones and see what happens. I'll mess around with the tank when I do my water changes. I didn't even think about that. I know sometimes the filter can rattle but it's not as bad as it has been. I've just never known them to be this bad. When I had them as a kid the ones I had would come up to the tank and get all excited when anyone walked into the room.

Either way, as long as the tank is healthy and they are fed, in my opinion you have nothing to worry about. With them being in a group like that, I am sure they will eventually calm down. They are happy, they have only been in there for a few weeks so maybe give it a little more time and they were transferred from one home to another. My grandfather use to keep swordtails and they were always scared. But then again who wouldn't be when a 10 year old kid is shoving their face into your house lol.

If the vibrations are bad enough, that might help calm them down a little.You can get those little 3m pads to absorb some of the vibrations. You might even be able to get them at the dollar store.

Your swords are acting like that because like many fish in the pet store they were raised outdoors. In outdoor rearing ponds, death comes from above-birds. If you take one or two plastic coffee can lids and cut the rims off you can use them as fake lilly pads. If the water level is high enough you won't see them. The swords will feel more comfortable. Also, a eye dropper full of live baby brine shrimp at the front of the tank will get their attention. May take a few feedings, but they will come around. I just got some great looking koi swords and they are doing the same thing. I have a plastic colander in one tankful and they are much more comfortable that the other tank that has a flower pot and java moss. Before you ask, I use the plastic colander as a breeding trap so female throw fry and they pass to safety in an empty tank.

Your swords are acting like that because like many fish in the pet store they were raised outdoors. In outdoor rearing ponds, death comes from above-birds. If you take one or two plastic coffee can lids and cut the rims off you can use them as fake lilly pads. If the water level is high enough you won't see them. The swords will feel more comfortable. Also, a eye dropper full of live baby brine shrimp at the front of the tank will get their attention. May take a few feedings, but they will come around. I just got some great looking koi swords and they are doing the same thing. I have a plastic colander in one tankful and they are much more comfortable that the other tank that has a flower pot and java moss. Before you ask, I use the plastic colander as a breeding trap so female throw fry and they pass to safety in an empty tank.

+1 some people use a small top dwelling school of fish to calm down scared fish. It makes then feel more secure.

Back
Top Bottom