Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-10-2019, 08:55 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Small balls/bubbles in new sand?

Hi, so context to this: i am currently in the process of changing the sand in my 8.8 gallon Dwarf puffer thank. I am currently using Caribsea naturals sand and it is VERY fine and very pretty, however, I have began to have some small problems with it and felt like it's for the best to just switch to a different sand. I bought 15lbs of Aquaterra sand in red, the sand is a very pretty red color (Just like the Phillies' Red!) I am rinsing it vigorously, and it is dust free, and the water in the buckets is clear HOWEVER I CANNOT GET RID OF THE BUBBLES!!! There are VERY small balls(/bubbles) that sit right on the surface of the sand when completely submerged. I am afraid to add it to the tank with the bubbles still in it because I'm afraid it'll clog up my hob filter. Does anyone have any idea about how i can remove the bubbles from the sand? I've only let it soak in a bucket for about 6 or 7 hours so far so maybe it just needs to set longer, thanks in advance to anyone who looks at this or can provide input!

Old 05-11-2019, 12:33 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I usually fill up a 5 gallon bucket half full with sand (since your tank is smaller you might try a 1 or 2 gallon bucket). I tip the bucket at a 45 degree angle and run water in it with a hose. Push the hose in and out of the sand. Let the water overflow out of the bucket as you do this. Works good for me.

Tags
balls, bubble, bubbles, sand, small

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com