Small 'eels'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dagon

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi. My young son has an obsession with eels.

Does anyone have ideas for eel lookalikes that don't grow too big.

The tank is 54ltr.

Any thoughts appreciated.

My number one pick is khuli loaches. I had them at his age and loved it. If you get 8 or so they'll all frolic together and sleep in a big ball, they're awesome fish. Don't get too big and are also peaceful and make a great clean-up crew. One of my favorites

YES they love to squeeze themselves into impossibly tight spaces it's comforting for them - just like a moray would although not for predation

Nice n thick! Is there really any other choice for a kid obsessed with eels? I remember being so gaga over morays at that age watching Jacques Cousteau and then seeing these at the lfs. I had to have them

Thanks - a great suggestion. And great pics.

Looking them up, they seem quite easy to look after (I will be doing the maintenance!)

Is a (part) sand floor essential?

Smooth sand. Not sharp. I have kept them on other substrates that were smooth and they did fine too.

Smooth sand. Not sharp. I have kept them on other substrates that were smooth and they did fine too.

Ok, I have what I'd say is a 'smooth' gravel. So hopefully that would be ok?

Also, I have glass shrimp. Will these be safe?

Can't go wrong with pool filter sand at $10 for a fifty pound ba. It's all I use for my loaches and cories.... It's really all I use for everything. Even my big planted tank is dirt under a blanket of pool filter sand. If you live near a pristine river you can find the full spectrum from river stones to gravel to fine sand at elbows and river bends in large deposits. This is safer for FW aquariums than beach sand. Just bake it at 350 degrees for 20min and let it cool before you use it. I refuse to pay for anything like that. You save incalculable time, effort, and energy sourcing things from your backyard. Just pour a little muriotic acid on questionable stones to make sure they aren't reactive. Most wood can be boiled but stay away from walnut. Wood that's already in clean natural water is definitely better as it's already saturated. Again it's best to boil it first. I use oak leaves instead of catapa that's crazy - it's crazy paying for any of it! I try to only spend money at my local fish clubs. If you're at all handy just build everything yourself. Not only is it cheaper but the customizable options are exponentially greater than anything from some corporate entity

Kuhlis are so great. I think they are opportunistic with shrimp and snails. They only ever ate our "on purpose" snail babies while in quarantine. I suspect the babies just couldn't hide.

Black ghost knife fish

Thanks for the additional suggestions, which I've enjoyed researching. They both look like great fish.

Given my (lack of) experience and tank limitations, I think the clown loaches look the best bet at the moment.

Thanks all.

Back
Top Bottom