Smelly water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ManicPenguin

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am running the following:

20G tank
1, small airstone
1, tetra whisper 20
1, tetra whisper 30
1, heater set to 79F
Gravel substrate
couple plastic plants
2T aquarium salt
6 Mollies
3 Guppies
2 Cories

My tank smells a little more than "earthy"... to be honest it smells between yummy garden soil and dog poo. Not as offensive as dog poo, but sorta that way...faintly.

My ammonia is low <.25ppm nitrites are undercontrol and I do weekly 25-50% water changes depending on nitrate levels and my mood.

My water is faintly cloudy so I think it could be bacterial...what would a fix be?

Have you recently cleaned off the filter sponges/floss? If you haven't, be sure to only clean it off in old tank water, so that you don't damage the good bacteria and put any chlorine or other chemicals that are in tap water. Hope this helps you out!

It is a relatively new tank to me....fully cycled. The filter was a slimy green gross mass when I got it and I cleaned it lightly with tap water.....I have a well so chems are not a problem...even so I have tested and it is clean.

I did not completely clean the filter, just enough so water would flow through. Also, the Tetra brand filter pumps have a separate screen mesh for bacterial growth so that you can change filters without having to re-cycle the tank.

Based on the chem testing the levels are all fine....but the tanks is hazy and stinky.

My well water is VERY hard...over 400 tds most of which is calcium. I use softened water for about 18.5 gallons and hard well water for the last 4-6 quarts. I figure the hard well water could make it hazy, but there is very little hard water in the tank.

Cheers

Smelly Tank Water

I am running the following:

20G tank
1, small airstone
1, tetra whisper 20
1, tetra whisper 30
1, heater set to 79F
Gravel substrate
couple plastic plants
2T aquarium salt
6 Mollies
3 Guppies
2 Cories

My tank smells a little more than "earthy"... to be honest it smells between yummy garden soil and dog poo. Not as offensive as dog poo, but sorta that way...faintly.

My ammonia is low <.25ppm nitrites are undercontrol and I do weekly 25-50% water changes depending on nitrate levels and my mood.

My water is faintly cloudy so I think it could be bacterial...what would a fix be?

Hello Man...

Considering the number of fish you have in that 20 G, the smell is likely dissolved fish waste. Your level of ammonia and nitrite should be "0". Nitrates aren't toxic to most fish, but your Mollies won't tolerate even low levels of any form of nitrogen in their water.

You need to remove and replace at least half the water in this tank every week. Twice a week in a smaller tank is even better. When you syphon out the water, look at it. If it's a slightly yellow color, that's dissolved urine and poop from your fish. Fish live in an unflush toilet. It needs to be flushed regularly, or they won't last long.

You should get a larger tank or a second one. Mollies get big, so they really need their own tank. In the mean time, get busy on the water changes.

B

Thanks BB,

I figured it might be something like that.

I say ammonia is <.25 because that is the lowest my test kit (API) will read, but there is still a super slight green tint...not bright yellow....maybe I am being overly picky.

I'll up the water changes to 2X/week until I get another/larger tank.

Thanks for the advice!!

MP

Adding carbon to the filter beside WC's will aid with removing any smell.

Back
Top Bottom