Snail infestation!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bktgifridays

Aquarium Advice Activist
One of my fry grow-out tanks has been over-run with little snails. How do I get rid of them? Are there fish that eat them? Or should I just completely re-do the tank with fresh gravel and the whole deal?

How did the snails get in there? Do you have plants or decor taken from another tank?

The snails will only overpopulate if you overfeed. Since it's a grow out tank, I would not recommend getting any snail-eating species, unless the situation is completely out of control, and then I would advise you to get 1 or 2 assassin snails.

Bktgifridays said:
One of my fry grow-out tanks has been over-run with little snails. How do I get rid of them? Are there fish that eat them? Or should I just completely re-do the tank with fresh gravel and the whole deal?

Here are some options:
1. Add an assassin snail. This type of snails eat other snails, so maybe can control you problem.
2. Add a Yo Yo loach. This fish are good eating snails. Be sure that you QT your fish before is introduced to you tank (if possible).
3. Manually remove them. You can add a piece of lettuce at night, in the morning the snails will be attach to the lettuce (eating), so remove the lettuce, repeat as needed.

Hope this helps.

Edgar

Gravel and decor were both from another tank but never saw snails before. And I could move the fry and put something else in there for awhile to eat the snails. Wondering if any of the fish I already have would eat them?

The only way we'll know is if you tell us what you have. :D

If it were my tank, I would just leave the fry there, and feed less, and hand pick out the villains.

And I have 10 tanks with quite a variety of aquatic life. Electric Blue Dempsey's, about 8 species of catfish, 2 bichers, needle-nose gar, and a 125gl community tank with about 15 different kinds of fish( guppies, platy's, Molly's, loaches, guramies(sp?), angels, silver dollars, loaches, Cory's, tetras, barbs, umm...etc.

Bktgifridays said:
And I have 10 tanks with quite a variety of aquatic life. Electric Blue Dempsey's, about 8 species of catfish, 2 bichers, needle-nose gar, and a 125gl community tank with about 15 different kinds of fish( guppies, platy's, Molly's, loaches, guramies(sp?), angels, silver dollars, loaches, Cory's, tetras, barbs, umm...etc.

Wow!! Tha is a lot of tanks, species, etc. Congratulations!
Saying so now:
Don't tell me that you did not know how to deal with snails?

Depending on the type of loaches you have, you might be able to just drop the snails into the other tanks for disposal. That said, if you're going to pick them out anyway, I would just dispose of them myself.

Haha never had a snail issue before...and as for my "collection" i kinda jumped head first into aquariums about 4 years ago after my first EBJD spawned after a couple months of having my first aquarium since I moved out of my parents house when I was 17...lol

What kind of snails are they? If they are malaysian trumpets, many people on this site would love to take them :)

Some snails are actually beneficial to the tank.

Those are actually very pretty...... not sure what they are though... other than dinner for my assassins. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom