Snail Problem!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shimano

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have a 5 gallon with a betta in it. I decided it was time for some buddies for the Betta. I bought two ghost shrimp and two snails. I week or so after i put them in there i had a bunch of baby snails. I tried to take as many as I could out during cleanings but they couldn't be stopped. So about a month ago i got a 14 gallon to make a new home for the betta and the shrimp. This weekend I change them over to the new tank, and now I have snails in the new tank. I have tried to take them out but there are still a few. I like the fact that they clean, but I don't want them in there. I need a safe way to get rid of the snails without hurting the shrimp or the betta.

Thanks!

Jared

What kind of snails are they?

Place a piece of lettuce in the tank on the substrate. The snails will find it and usually flock onto it to eat. When you have a good amount of snails eating, just remove the leaf. Repeat as necessary.

I am not sure. They are all brown I know that much. The snails came with a plant I bought.

Most likely pond snails then. I think the lettuce approach is going to be the easiest, least intrusive method. Give it a shot and see how it does for you.

Back
Top Bottom