snail vs. ghost shrimp.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

o.jonathan.o

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So my shrimp are eating my snail. Is that normal for a shrimps diet??

I had ghost shrimp and they never messed with my mystery snail. what kind of shrimp is it?

Not too sure. He came on a plant so I figure it's a mystery snail

If it came on a plant I doubt its a mystery snail. Mystery snails are usually pretty big. They can only breed in saltwater, so there is no way there would be babies on a plant. It could be pond snails. They breed in freshwater. They are greenish brown colored, and the largest I have seen is one centimeter long. My black mystery snail is the size of a golf ball (just so you know how big mystery snails get) how many shrimp do you have in there?

maxwellag said:
If it came on a plant I doubt its a mystery snail. Mystery snails are usually pretty big. They can only breed in saltwater, so there is no way there would be babies on a plant. It could be pond snails. They breed in freshwater. They are greenish brown colored, and the largest I have seen is one centimeter long. My black mystery snail is the size of a golf ball (just so you know how big mystery snails get) how many shrimp do you have in there?

10 ghost shrimp, 8 neons and 1 Malaysian snail

The ghost shrimp might be attacking the snail because they feel confident. It ghosties are kept in large groups, they can start to harass ofter fish. At walmart I saw a tank with about a hundred ghost shrimp and 5 male guppies (bad choice) and the shrimp were swimming up and grabbing the guppys' tails and pulling them down. There were two dead ones in there already. :(

I know. When I first found put I had him, it looked like a booger on the glass, therefore the name booger stuck

I have had ghost shrimp that will tear apart pond snails. When I moved everything from my 25g to the 55g, only about 3 or 4 pond snails were moved over and within a week I had the shells only left on the gravel bed. Pond snails don’t have a trap door so when they hide in their shell they are still exposed.
The ghost shrimp have not messed with the MTS that I have in the tank though. I have about 15 ghosts and 17 MTS. But should there be any pond snails that get into the tank I don’t really worry. They are a good treat for the shrimp.

I bought 4 mts a month ago.... I can literally see like, atleast 10 super tiny shells. There cool snails, specially with sand

hippy guy said:
I bought 4 mts a month ago.... I can literally see like, atleast 10 super tiny shells. There cool snails, specially with sand

How much did you pay and what were the sizes. Ans also they reproduce fast

Well, the first guy I asked at my lfs refused to sell them to me, because he "needed them for the asthetics of their tanks"
But I promptly addressed the manager (I usually just go straight to her, as I'm always there and she loves me and my girl haha) and she didn't know what it was, or how much to sell them, so I suggested 25 or 50 cent a piece, and she went with the latter, but graciously added a few ramshorn snails for free.
I made sure she picked out medium sized to large, active snails (ones I saw moving and digging more than the rest) the baby ones I found are smaller than the width of airline tubing, but there so fun to watch.
Unfortunatly somebody likes to eat my snails, and I'm leaning towords my shrimp (probobly the vampire shrimp)

Back
Top Bottom