Snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WhiteAngel

Aquarium Advice Regular
Does any one have any personal experiences with snails [espiecally "mystery"/apple snails]???

I am really interested in breeding them, since they sound like fun.

But I'd like to know some questions.

Like how hardy are they?
How large do they get?

Has anyone actually had them breed in the tank?

Has anyone actually had them breed in the tank?

Yea, :lol: I started with 8 rams horns, they are of the same family, all you gotta do is leave em alone and you will have plenty. My female betta's are keeping the eggs in check. :D

I have 4 black mysteries that breed readily.

Ever batch I've had is successful.

However, their in a tank with fish... and the young soon become a tasty snack.

Yeah, get a couple mystery snails and you'll soon see their egg sacs laying around your tank everywhere!! I have successfully bred them and yes, snails are very hardy IME.

You have to be lucky, and get a male and female snail.

because Apple snails are not hermaphroditic.

Which is, most likely, why my Ramhorns have never bred.. their probably all male or all female, since their all about the same size.

Thanks for the info.

How would you rate snails in hardiness.

From a scale of one to ten??????

[One been not very hardy, ten been very hardy]

I've read that you shouldn't put them in soft water though, since they need the calcium for their shell to be heathly.

justmy2cents said:
did you know a female betta can suck one right outta the shell? :lol:

I had an idea when I happened to see in a pet-store, a big nasty looking female Betta take out a whole lot of snails.

I just got 2 Apple Snails yesterday (also hoping for breeding :D ) with my Oranda. What do the eggs look like and where in the tank should I look for them?

Thanks, Beacious.

my friend said that snails can breed with only 1 gender lol hes a wierd one

maybe its true though

krap101 said:
my friend said that snails can breed with only 1 gender lol hes a wierd one

maybe its true though

Pest snails are hermaphrodites, Meaning..their both male and female.

Apple snails are not, their either male, or female. Not both.

I just got 2 Apple Snails yesterday (also hoping for breeding ) with my Oranda. What do the eggs look like and where in the tank should I look for them?
Beacious, do a search on apple snails to find out. When you find out the information yourself, you will retain it longer and there is always that sense of accomplishment! It’s not as fun as just getting the answers, but in the long run, you will be a better aquarium hobbyist if you know where to look for the answers :wink:

Mighy have "caught some air" :lol: Seriously, if he was playing on the bubble wall like mine do then he might sail around for a while. If your worried pick it out and look at the "foot", if it's tight it's ok, if it's hanging loose touch it if it draws up then it ok if not then it's dead.

One of my snails was on top of the other. Breeding? How do I tell if they are male or female?

Oh good cause they were doing that about 1 mintunte after my post. :lol:
What will the eggs look like? And where will they lay them? And will my Oranda bother them?

Thanks, Beacious.

Back
Top Bottom