Snails being shipped

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NigelK8485

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I had some malaysian trumpet snails sent to me. They shipped out on Saturday and the tracking information showed them leaving California on Sunday and that was the last I heard until today. They were supposed to be two day priority but somehow the delivery got delayed, so now my tracking shows them as delayed and will be delivered tomorrow.

I'm wondering what the likelihood will be that these snails are alive after being in a bag for six days.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I had some issues with our mailbox being blocked by a neighbor's car and my order of bumblebee nerites was delayed. I'm out of town but apparently they arrived on Monday. My daughter has been trying to revive them...last I heard 4 of the 7 were alive.

Good luck with your snails.

May likely depend on temps and possibly if the shipper used a breather bag. Snails are extremely hardy though so I'd be optimistic.

They showed up today. Luckily the company shipped them in water with little bits of frogbit and various other plants in there so they had something to munch on. Dropped them in my tank then left for awhile, came back to about half of them not where I dropped them. I'm hoping they buried under the substrate but the current may have just pushed them into the plants. Still crossing my fingers to see some form of movement from the other half.

Hope you see movement!

I don't put them directly into the tank. Instead I put some tank water into a bowl then add the snails to make sure they're all ok. Unfortunately this time only 3 survived :(

They may be ok if they had enough oxygen in the bag and didn't experience any extreme temps in transit. Snails ship pretty well since they don't need much water. The place I get my nerites and mystery snails from doesn't put any water in the bag at all.

Would moist paper towels in a bag with plenty of air doing 2 day USPS shipping be fine for MTS?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ive seen people ship them like that, I think it works OK but I just bag them and throw in some moss or plants for cushion. The biggest issue this time of year is the weather, so insulation is extremely important.

Ive seen people ship them like that, I think it works OK but I just bag them and throw in some moss or plants for cushion. The biggest issue this time of year is the weather, so insulation is extremely important.

Thanks! I've got plants to spare. Checked the temps and Monday-Tuesday will be mid 50s to mid 60s. Not sure about Wednesday. Yes, there will be insulation.

I should have just gone through you then, mts are what I ordered.

Well unless these guys are just extremely shy, I'm thinking they are dead. No movement at all.

This is what happens when I drop an algae pellet in my shrimp tank
zxbksW7.png
Once they catch a whiff, they rise out of the substrate like zombies.

Ew kind of gross looking haha. But you're so lucky.

I sent you a PM.

Back
Top Bottom