Betta losing colour in fins and tail. Becoming white.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Glomis

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So to go into a backstory on this, I've had Nana for just over a year. I got him, and was very new to the aquarium world, but I've been learning this entire time. The tank was cycled and the parameters are just fine. He had snails in there for some time, but we had pulled them out at some point in anticipation of moving him to a different, bigger tank.

Several months ago, we had gotten a new heater for him, and switched his previous to the tank we wanted to move him to. This new heater was the type that's supposed to be preset at a comfortable 78°. Not long after, he started becoming lethargic and spending a lot of time at the bottom. He'd still eat okay, but was clearly not doing well. I got worried and talked to a reputable aquarium shop who had me try bettafix and gave me an alternative of a powder, which the name of escapes me at the moment, to try after clearing the fix out two weeks in. None of it worked.

At some point, I decided, again, to look up his symptoms and somehow came across information on his tempurature probably being too cold. The way it described it was exactly what he's showing. Just a few days before, I had gotten another thermometer and it had been showing 70° flat. Before this change of heater, it was kept more around 76°

So because of this, I had gone out and grabbed another heater. I couldn't find a proper size heater for his size of tank, so I switched it out with his old heater and put that one back in with him. I slowly raised the temperature in it over about 24 hours until it was at a more reasonable temp.

He's a bit more energetic now, but still spends plenty of time on the bottom.

So my question on this is what I can do to promote his immune system, give him more energy and return colour to his fins and tail.

Of course, I would also appreciate any information I might be missing as far as what could be wrong with him. The only other thing I haven't mentioned is that he lays half on his side on the bottom.

Any information would definitely be appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom