Snails + Diatoms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Psyhampster

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello all!

I've got 2 mystery snails in the 30 gallon, and they've been eating little roadways in the diatoms, which is good. My question is, will Apple Snails eat diatoms? I'm interested in an Apple Snail because i only see the current 2 when i'm up at like 2 in the morning.

My mystery snails are always running around the aquarium, they're really fun to watch. I've never had a problem with not seeing them during the day...

Snails you say! Excellent choice. Great for gobbling up all manner of detirus and algae. Just keep an eye on em', they love to try escaping from the tank and getting into the HOB.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't apple snails and mystery snails the same thing? Or is it that they are just often confused because they are so similar?

Devilishturtles said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't apple snails and mystery snails the same thing? Or is it that they are just often confused because they are so similar?

Apple snails get the size of a baseball/apple or bigger. I don't think the Mystery Snail gets nearly that large.

My apple snail seems to eat diatoms. But it's in a tank with a bristlenose pleco so I guess I can't say for sure. :roll:

I'm having an algae outbreak in the 5 gl hex. It is getting green on the sides and on one side it's like dots all over with dark green. The snails are roaming over the area and aren't taking any of it up. I used an algae magnet but all that got me was scratches on the tank (acrylic) and the algae is still there. Is there something better?

I don't mean to hyjack the thread, it's just that it's along the same lines. Our snails are always out and about all day long. Never had a problem with not seeing them.

well, as far as not seeing them, that could be because they're 2 small(<2.5 IN) in a 30 gallon tank. Its Kinda funny, theres this big patch of diatoms on the back glass, and little roadways running through it.

Back
Top Bottom