snakeheads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Are Snakeheads as dangerious as the news portrays?

• They will have an impact but will eventlly find an equilbrium point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NO! This is a classic example of the news media blowing things out of proportion

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

saltyfishboy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was reading the news article on this site about snakeheads and how they are trying to get rid of them in this certain pond. Why are snakeheads bad? are they mean fish? :?:

This is a thread where we discussed this a little a few weeks back. Not sure if the news links are still active but if so they are interesting reading.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=160&highlight=snakehead

Basicly they say this fish has a huge appatite and can grow quite large. Like 3ft in lengh. They say it has the potental to wipe out fish life in a pond or body of water. THen when nothing else to eat they litrally walk on land to another body of water. They can reportably stay out of water for 3 days.

I personally think they might be overreacting to some degree. Small snakeheads would be great food for a medium sized large mouth bass.

Looks like everyone thinks the media is up to their normal practices of overhyping everything they report.

As a resident of FL, I tend to take the introduction of non-native secies very seriously. While there is no way the snakeheads will totally wipe out all aquatic life, I did not feel there were enough choices in this poll. It went from two extremes with only one middle choice that quite frankly didn't cut it, therefore I did not vote. I do not believe the media has over hyped this, it is a serious problem. The introduction of non native species has a tremendous effect on the environment, provided conditions are right for their survival. The snake heads will indeed find an equilibrium, but at what cost? What native species will become extinct or endangeres because of there introduction? What effect on the economy will there be? Bass fishing is big business down here, will the snakeheads out compete big mouth or small mouth bass? The poill was nowhere indepth enough to make an honest choice....

Yeah, I know, I just did not feel it was appropriate to change someone elses poll, without so much as a "by your leave". Also my post was more of an answer to yours, than a gripe about the poll. If it hadn't been for your post about the articles about a month ago, I would never have heard of the snakehead problem, therefore I do not feel it was overhyped by the media.

its been 10 years and the snakeheads have spread, theyre causing tremendous trouble, even injuring boaters when they leap from the water, the govt has opened a duty free market trying to encourage there harvest, Illinois is overrun

Your a thread archaeologist, this one is over ten years old. But do agree with you, I've caught dozens of snakeheads when fishing in Florida and even a couple last year here in northern Illinois and not one of them ever saw the alive water again.

Last edited:
Wow a 10 year old thread. I'm from nebraska, and haven't seen any snakeheads yet. But I'm afraid it's only a matter of time, I'm also worried about the Asian carp. IMO, a law needs to be passed so if any of these invasive fish are caught, it's kill on site. Or make a food market for these suckers, like walleye.

Here in Tennessee I believe snakeheads are kill-on-site. We have a few invasive fish that are supposed to be removed if caught. Me and a few friends thought about planning a trip further south to go after some Snakeheads.

Back
Top Bottom