So do i need an airstone on??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sidman24

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 75 gallon planted tank and I've always kept an airstone on because I was told it was important for fish to have enough oxygen, however now I've been reading otherwise. My filter produces a little flow in the water but nothing major... So do I need an airstone or not?

I would say you could most likely skip the air stone. As long as there is enough surface agitation from your filter the air stone is pointless. One easy way to figure out is turn the air stone off during a day where you are going to be home for most of it to watch the tank and see what happens. If the fish start gasping at the surface then you know that the airstone is necessary but I am betting that it isn't.

it is likely more than enough for most fish. unless you have the heat cranked up (for discus or treating sick fish) or have fish that need higher oxygen content than most, it isn't needed. most people that keep high oxygen required fish just use a powerhead with a venturi valve. thats what i use for my hillstream loach. i only run air pumps on tanks that i use sponge filters on.

So it will be okay during the night too? I read that in planted tanks co2 levels can build up during the night.. Not sure if that's true or not

So it will be okay during the night too? I read that in planted tanks co2 levels can build up during the night.. Not sure if that's true or not

if you are running co2 you need to turn it off at night or run an air stone at night, to disperse the co2 and keep the levels down. if you don't run co2, you don't really need to worry.

if you are running co2 you need to turn it off at night or run an air stone at night, to disperse the co2 and keep the levels down. if you don't run co2, you don't really need to worry.

What if I just dose it in the morning with liquid once a day?

What if I just dose it in the morning with liquid once a day?

i don't think it will affect your levels at night, but what product are you using exactly? some can harm your fish if you are dosing too much. at night when your plants stop feeding off of it, it could raise your gh and kh levels. do you have test kits to check the gh/kh levels right before the lights go out and right before they go on?

i don't think it will affect your levels at night, but what product are you using exactly? some can harm your fish if you are dosing too much. at night when your plants stop feeding off of it, it could raise your gh and kh levels. do you have test kits to check the gh/kh levels right before the lights go out and right before they go on?

It's co2 booster from API. But plan to switch to flourish excel. Thank you both for the help!

It's co2 booster from API. But plan to switch to flourish excel. Thank you both for the help!

Fwiw Those are both the exact same product.

Depending on how much you use (I use 30ml daily for my 55g) it might not be a bad idea to look into buying metricide 14 day sterilizing solution. 1 gallon costs about $30 and is 2x as strong as excel or co2 booster. You can dilute it with distilled water and dose it the exact same as excel or just dose at half strength.

Back
Top Bottom