So I'm worried my LFS lied to me.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Satchel_Paige

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 29 gallon tank that is medium planted and has sand substrate. I had 4 albino corys, a baby bristlenose pleco and a dwarf gourami. I had added a bolivian ram a few weeks ago and it was great as everyone seemed to go their own way in the tank. Then I went into my LFS today to pick up a krib and potentially another bolivian ram. They had a cichlid I'd never seen before in a Dwarf Agassiz. I picked up the Krib and the Dwarf Agassiz as they store said it should be no problem in my tank and they have yet to steer me wrong. However, having gotten home and read about them I am very nervous that it is going to be super aggressive. My ram is always flaring up at it and it does so back. During their feeding today the Krib was pecking at the gourami and the at my cories. I guess I just don't know what to do at this point as I was not prepared for this type of thing. Is it a normal establishment of territories or should I be worried about this and potentially look at returning the fish? Thanks for all the help.

I have a 29 gallon tank that is medium planted and has sand substrate. I had 4 albino corys, a baby bristlenose pleco and a dwarf gourami. I had added a bolivian ram a few weeks ago and it was great as everyone seemed to go their own way in the tank. Then I went into my LFS today to pick up a krib and potentially another bolivian ram. They had a cichlid I'd never seen before in a Dwarf Agassiz. I picked up the Krib and the Dwarf Agassiz as they store said it should be no problem in my tank and they have yet to steer me wrong. However, having gotten home and read about them I am very nervous that it is going to be super aggressive. My ram is always flaring up at it and it does so back. During their feeding today the Krib was pecking at the gourami and the at my cories. I guess I just don't know what to do at this point as I was not prepared for this type of thing. Is it a normal establishment of territories or should I be worried about this and potentially look at returning the fish? Thanks for all the help.

If it were me, I wouldn't put anything in with a cichlid other than a cichlid...they are aggressive and territorial.

If it were me, I wouldn't put anything in with a cichlid other than a cichlid...they are aggressive and territorial.

What about the different types of cichlids? I know that I have to get ones that fit the water parameters that I currently have and they all do. Should I just bring these two back and go with a strictly different types of rams or something else? Thank you for the reply, hopefully I can get this sorted without any problems.

What about the different types of cichlids? I know that I have to get ones that fit the water parameters that I currently have and they all do. Should I just bring these two back and go with a strictly different types of rams or something else? Thank you for the reply, hopefully I can get this sorted without any problems.

That's up to you. I hate trying to tell people what fish to get cuz its such a personal decision. IMHO I would take the cichlid back and go with something else.

That's up to you. I hate trying to tell people what fish to get cuz its such a personal decision. IMHO I would take the cichlid back and go with something else.

I completely understand. I just want to try to find the best way to do this without any fish being harmed but still have a colorful, active aquarium.

The Krib is an African dwarf cichlid and although people have success with them in community systems they're highly territorial.

The Bolivian ram and the dwarf Agassiz are both Central American dwarf cichlids. They will be territorial towards each other as they would normally be in the wild. If you had a larger tank they'd be fine. My suggestion is you take the Krib back I'm just not a fan of them in community tanks, and decide between whether you want a pair of the apistos or the Bolivian rams and rehome whatever other one you don't go with.

The apisto Agassiz is a community fish. All cichlids whether they're African, American, dwarf, tank busters are aggressive... Dwarf American cichlids like apistos, German Rams, Bolivian Rams are community friendly for a tropical tank and are fine often in a pair of m/f. It is when they spawn they may become territorial towards other fish mainly just guarding their eggs.

I myself have a German blue ram pair and they've spawned with some aggression but not a lot that is damaging to other fish and it only last a few days I just keep the water temp on 28 Celsius and they don't spawn on me but it's well in their temp range.

Mixing different types of dwarf cichlids that like the same type of territory does not work in a smaller tank. If you had 55g or larger it might work.

I would stick to just the Bolivians and you may have room for only one.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I agree with Coursair. In a 55 gallon, I had no trouble with an apisto, a Krib and a Bolivian Ram, but I would not have put these in anything smaller. My Krib was not aggressive like a lot of them are. Those little apistos can be pistols too! They don't seem to know how small they are, and they can be little scrappers! And unrelenting when they decide to chase. So I'm hesitant to put anything like a Krib, etc. with my dorsigera apisto even in my 55.

Yeah I was lucky enough that the lfs took them back for credit which I used to get another bolivian. Things are much more relaxed in my tank now. Thank you so much for all the help. I do appreciate it.

That's a really really broad statement. There are plenty of cichlids such as angels, GBRs, and bolivians that do great in community tanks.

Man.. first page is epic here:eek: .. dwarf cichlids are just as fierce if not more than their larger counter parts..they like territory and hate competition. In a tank that size a pair of bolivians would be it. Never listen to lfs employees.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom