So Much Algae / No Fish / No Food Yet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fredmertz

Aquarium Advice Regular
It's taking me longer than I expected to actually put fish in my planted aquarium (part of me is still a bit scared....), but thanks to the plants I have a small collection of snails, copepods and planaria.

It seems like there is an awful lot of algae (brown and white, not green) for a tank I haven't put a single piece of food in. It is 75g and I have 260w of fluorescent lighting that is on for 10 hours a day. The tank is at 79 degrees and I have a Eheim Pro filter that has much bigger capacity than I need.

Most of the brown algae seems to be on a large piece of driftwood and the white algae is up in the some of the higher plants.

Both algae basically look like stretched out cotton balls (kind of like when you decorate for halloween with fake cobwebs).

I am starting to worry about putting fish in -- I know new tanks often have algae blooms that go away quickly, but I thought that was generally tanks with fish in them.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Fred

Back
Top Bottom