Some Questions about RO Units

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ianeberle

Aquarium Advice Freak
I want to get OEBT shrimp, but they require a pH around 6.8 and my local pH is 7.6-7.8. I was told that chemical pH up and down are crap and a reverse osmosis machine is the way to go.

I looked on eBay and it looks like they are running about $80 used or $120+ new.

Here are my questions:
1. How do they work? Does aquarium water run through it all the time or just during water changes?
2. Does it matter what kind I get?
3. Can it lower my pH from 7.6 to 6.8?

If anyone has one of these units for sale, I'm interested in buying one.

Actually, these units plumb into your sink or outside hose line and produce a specified amount of RO water a day. For example a 75g unit gives you an output of 75 gallons per day. These units are mostly used in the reef world to eliminate phosphates. You'll notice some units are equipped with a TDS meter to detect how many phosphates in PPU (part per unit).

RO unit generally waste 3 gallons of water for every 1 gallon created. They require an annual RO membrane replacement as well as carbon and other media replacement.

Some other ways to lower PH is to look into A. Buying lots of Malasian driftwood. B. buying water from the grocery store as RO water. C. Buying soft water pillows...

That sounds like more than I want to get into...

I'm either not getting OEBT or finding an alternative to lower my pH.

I think my Walmart has that too. I was reading it would be like $1 for 5 gallons or so? I'm going to have to check that out!

Back
Top Bottom