Some Suicidal Ghost Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

unknown_7

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello everyone, I bought about three dozens of ghost shrimp. I dumped like 5 or 6 with my labs for company, like 4 in with my betta for company and then I dumped the rest in my tank with the convicts and my bichir, hoping my bichir would eat it. I watched and my bichir ignored them completely, the convicts enjoyed harassing, chasing and nipping them to death but didn't want to eat them and they did this with like 5 and got bored. I left cause I thought they would all be dead in about an hour. So I was taking a look at the tank and I saw no ghost shrimp so I was like yeah they are all eaten, but my bichir was still skinny and still hiding so I assumed it was the convicts the killed them all. I look on the floor behind my tank and I saw a dead ghost shrimp lying there. There was a tiny hole maybe with a diameter of 2 inches at the top of the tank and it jump through.......no wait another ghost shrimp, wait and another...and another..and more. There were like way over 3/4 of the ghost shrimp there laying there on the floor dead. They all found the crack in the top of the tank lid and all of them happened to jump out and had laid there dead. I found this really nasty, sick and weird. So, what do you all think?

i had this problem with one of mine to lol it freaked the crap out of me. they turn orange once they have left the water to... weird

why would you buy the shrimpif you know that your fish are going to eat them??? sorry just some of the things on here recently are baffling me.. like people putting big mouth bass in a 30 gallon tank :evil:

Tiffi...

unknown_7 said:
then I dumped the rest in my tank with the convicts and my bichir, hoping my bichir would eat it.

I've heard of plenty of people who breed ghost shrimp for snacks. I've thought about it as well. My Oscar likes them... I've quarantined all of mine though, because they came from walmart. One of the LFS around here keeps theirs only about 15 at a time in a 10 gallon looks like where they keep some of their plants. Not sure how much he charges though. Probably like $.35 opposed to $.26 at walmart. Walmart keeps like 50 in one tank and they always jump over to other tanks.

I've bought ghost shrimp a few times to feed to my angelfish and other fish in my community tank. They lasted a few days before they were all picked off.

I would just try to close up everything and then maybe don't give your fish food for a few days. They might be more willing to eat the shrimp than instead of just playing with them.

I usually buy about a dozen every two weeks for my eel. But now I have a guppy tank for the feeding thing.

''why would you buy the shrimpif you know that your fish are going to eat them''

Because they are often listed with other "live foods" and they are the natural food of many fish-Anne

I've also had suicidal ghost shrimp. One kept trying to jump out of the bag on the way home and as soon as he went into the guppy pond she jumped out. I'm not sure why. Another was one that I was transporting to another tank and I was out on the patio and it jumped out. I have wood as the "flooring" on my patio and there are holes between the board type things. The ghost shrimp jumped out of his little cup that he was in while I moved him to the other tank and fell through one of the slats. I couldn't do anything to help her (I'm using both him and her because I don't know tha gender) and just had to watch. :( Then the others seemed to be sad with the loss of their buddy and all jumped out withing the next week. :?

oh ok!!! I thought they said they bought some hoping the birchir WOULDN'T eat them.. i was tired when i was reading that the other night so the words just kind of blended together :lol:

"why would you buy the shrimpif you know that your fish are going to eat them??? sorry just some of the things on here recently are baffling me.. like people putting big mouth bass in a 30 gallon tank"

I guess I don't have to say anything now, lol. Well, all of the ones in the bichir tank are dead, all of the ones in my betta tank are dead except for one. The betta just started to chase them cause he doesn't like when there are other living things sharing his space and so he chased and nipped them to death, cause he does not like them. Now, there is only one and he doesn't really mind it much. Its funny though cause sometimes he ignores the lone ghost shrimp completely, even when it feels him with his antenna, then other days my betta searches his tank like crazy for the poor ghost shrimp just to bother or flare at him for a couple minutes and then leaves him, lol. The ones in my other tank are all good. The fish don't bother them, the only thing that might annoy them is the fact that the fish swim fast and sometimes knock them over or swim past them with such speed that they get blown away, it sort of funny, but they are not getting hurt, lol. Yeah, the ghost shrimp are very entertaining, they are what I needed for my tanks. Lol. Good luck to all.

Back
Top Bottom