Spot of swordtail's head

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blackadder

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I noticed a white spot on my female swordtails head, behind her eye. She behaves normally, and the other fish seem fine (although 2 cory's suddenly died for no apparent reason a few days ago).

I have attached a picture (a bit blurred). Does anybody know what this is and what I should be doing about it?

Attachments

• img_0251a_120.jpg
    img_0251a_120.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 156
Could you describe the little spot is it like a white grain of sand and is the fish rubbing itself on objects? If it is it may be Ich and it can be cured by increasing the tank temp to 88, but a description of it would be good, for us to help. Please answer the Q's below.

1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).
2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.
3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.
5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?
6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?
8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?
9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?

It doesn't look like ich to me but then the pic is a bit fuzzy. Once we have a bit more info we will be able to help more.

Answers to Imrandome1's questions:

1) Female swordtail. White spot on her head. Hard to tell if it raised or not. No other spots on her. She is not rubbing herself on anything as far as I can tell.

2) Ammonia: 0.5 to 1, Nitrites: 0, Nitrates: 5, Temp: 78, PH: 7.6

3) 29 gallons - 2 1/2 months

4) Eclipse 3 w/ biowheel.

5) 7 - 4 zebra danios (about 1.5"), 1 panda cory (about 1"), 1 male swordtail (2"), 1 female swordtail (2.5"). Also, 6 ghost shrimp, 1 cherry shrimp, 2 golden inca snails.

6) This morning. Usually change about 20% once a week, but more often lately because there is some ammonia in the water.

7) About a month

8) No

9) Tetramin, occasionally frozen bloodworms, shrimp pellets for the cory. No recent changes.

Thanks for your help.

Strange that you would have ammonia with no nitrites and low nitrates. Any live plants in the tank? It might be possible that your tank is going through a mini cycle, or that it didn't fully complete the cycle to start with. I would start with larger water changes with gravel vacs to keep the ammonia down and monitor the spot.

Is the fish still eating the same as usual? Any white stringy poop? Is it cottony at all?

I have had orange mollies get random white spots that have not developed into anything even after several months. I assume it is natural for them. I've never had it happen with a swordtail mind you. Keep a close eye on it and see if it spreads or gets cottony, if it does it may be fungal or columanaris and need medication. Some might recommend some melafix and pimafix as they are mild. I personally never medicate until I am sure it is needed. The best treatment for start is pristine water conditions IMO.

Back
Top Bottom