Starve fish???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lindsey577

Aquarium Advice Activist
I heard somewhere that you should starve your fish for a day and they would be healthier... Is that true??? Can someone explain? Thanks!

mLindsey97 said:
I heard somewhere that you should starve your fish for a day and they would be healthier... Is that true??? Can someone explain? Thanks!

Yes once a week do not feed your fish I allows bacteria to consume all of the ammonia and empties the fishes gut allowing for healthier fish

I found this out by accident, went out of town for a weekend, came back to fish who never looked and acted better. Following along, curious to see these answers.

Ok, thanks! I guess I wont be feeding my fish today =P

This is something I receieved mixed answers on for years, as well...does anyone know the recommended feeding schedule for fancy goldfish? Should they be fed once a day, twice a day or should a day or so be skipped inbetween? This won't kill them?

I feed my fish peas on Sunday and then fast them on Mondays. Peas help with digestion and prevent bloating and act as a laxative. Fasting does something similar.

I feed my fish peas on Sunday and then fast them on Mondays. Peas help with digestion and prevent bloating and act as a laxative. Fasting does something similar.

Indeed; we feed our goldies cooked frozen peas when there appears to be buoyancy issues...:)

Just to clarify, there is a BIG difference between starving and fasting.

starving: stop all feeding, forever, which will lead to a slow, miserable death

fasting: stop feeding for a day or so to cleanse the digestive tract then resume feeding

Fish, like humans can for a while without food. A human will die after about 14 days. The body uses up what it has stored. A fish can do the same. Of course, this also depends on many factors.

So fasting a fish for a day or two won't cause damage. Unless they are fry.

When I have fry I feed them frequently with small amounts.

I believe feeding goldfish is different due to their digestive system. I *think*, not positive, that they should be fed daily

Pckerfreak44 said:
What about fry? Should I continue to feed my fry everyday? And I've never heard of this before, I'm gonna start doing it

Yes continue to feed your fry once or twice a day.

When I have fry I feed them frequently with small amounts.

I believe feeding goldfish is different due to their digestive system. I *think*, not positive, that they should be fed daily

Should goldfish be fed daily?

I have a Oranda and a telescope both a little slow finding the food . I've read two pinches is sufficient but the food I'm using has flakes the size of half dollars! They are slow to find food. Do I crumble two of the large flakes or is that not enough? I've been doing 4 and they are eating every bit within 3-5 minutes. I just don't want to over feed and they are new family members

My experience with flakes vs. pellets has been double sided to be honest; I know it's always suggested that you're supposed to feed goldies (especially exotic fancy types) sinking foods like pellets rather than flakes because of their swim bloat issues they could get -- and which they do, as we lost a couple to this disease -- in which they "suck in" air trying to devour the flakes; however, I have found that our goldies just don't seem to be able to "digest" the pellets or even the so-called Tetra "Goldfish Crisps" when they fall in front of them or they pick them off the substrate. It's the strangest thing, but eating the pellets seems to put them in like a "numbing trance" in which they just stay still and move their mouths, trying to what appears to be "digest" these things...

This does not happen when I feed Aqueon or Tetra goldfish flakes -- the fish swim madly about the tank and eat heartily, excitingly sucking up the passing flakes and those that sit atop the surface; there doesn't seem to be any "digestive" issues with the flakes, even though I suspect they're of much lower quality (brands like Aqueon and Tetra)...

So this leaves me in a bit of a bind for daily non-special feeding; they enjoy the flakes much more, from what I can tell, but supposedly sinking foods are better for them...:banghead::banghead:

Mine are on the flakes and they wait till they settle on the gravel before eating. They are young and store suggested to wait 3-4 months to switch to pellets. They really do seem happy with the flakes. Guess I'll just time them eating next feeding to see how long if enough cuz it really does take them a bit to find the food

My problem seems to be that the goldfish don't "care" for the pellets as much, taking their time to "digest" them with rather "concerned" looks on their faces...I know it sounds weird, but it's the only way I can describe it...:eek:

Maybe you need a different type of pellet. What type did you try? Starving/fasting/ whatever you want to call it does not work well for Goldie's because they lack true stomachs. They are grazers & do better with a few small meals & lots of veggies daily to munch on when they feel the need to graze. :)

Back
Top Bottom