Starving algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Your fish will be fine there colour may fade a bit it will come back when lights have been on few hours. Depends on the plants weather they need high light everyday or not.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

No, they'll be fine. A 3 day blackout is the start to treating green water algae.

However, splitting your photo period will help with the reduction in growth. Since splitting my photo period 3 on 3 off 3 on I've seen reduction in all algae.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Your Algae Issue

Will starving my algae of light for 3 days hurt my plants or fish?

Hello knut...

Three days without light won't do anything. You can reduce the flaked food you feed, add more floating plants and follow an aggressive water change routine. This all takes time to work. The algae didn't appear overnight and you can't get rid of it overnight either.

B

Thanks for all the info! I've heard a lot about spot treating with peroxide, any thoughts?

Turn filter off, lights on, syringe. The main factor is how much peroxide you can put in your tank safely. I haven't done this yet so I'm not sure, but hydrogen peroxide breaks down into water+ oxygen gas when it reacts and when exposed to light.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom