Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newfishlover

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 55 gallon tank. Just want some info on stocking it. Tanks cycled and water parameters stable and good. Water changes weekly. Want to know if I'm stocked or is there a new species I could add?
Here's what I have:
6 tiger barbs
6 ruby barbs
2 misc barbs(can't remember name)
1 rosy barb(I know I need to finish school but I'm afraid I'm overstocked)
2 bala sharks
2 rainbow sharks

I know the sharks get big but I loved them and if I can't get a bigger tank by the time they reach a huge size my lfs takes donations(currently about 1-3 inches). Have driftwood and I'm about to start experimenting with plants!

I think it is a bit stocked especially with the sharks you have. But it is really up to you, how planted is your tank?

Not too planted yet. Slowly adding. I wanna try mosses but I don't think they have them at my lfs. Any good online sources?

I have a 55 gallon tank. Just want some info on stocking it. Tanks cycled and water parameters stable and good. Water changes weekly. Want to know if I'm stocked or is there a new species I could add?
Here's what I have:
6 tiger barbs
6 ruby barbs
2 misc barbs(can't remember name)
1 rosy barb(I know I need to finish school but I'm afraid I'm overstocked)
2 bala sharks
2 rainbow sharks

I know the sharks get big but I loved them and if I can't get a bigger tank by the time they reach a huge size my lfs takes donations(currently about 1-3 inches). Have driftwood and I'm about to start experimenting with plants!

Assuming your 2 misc are cherry barbs ... if you get rid of the Bala's and keep one Rainbow then I'd say you could add 2-3 more cherries and a couple more Rosy Barbs.

The bala sharks IMO will get too big for a 55. And rainow sharks shouldnt be kept together due to aggression towards their own species. In fact they shouldn't be kept with any other shark species. But you could cut back to just one rainbow shark and it will open up your stocking options. You could increase your barb schools to begin with.

Watch out with the rianbows and balas they might not be able to co-exist as they grow. But you could get some more barbs and just get rid of the "sharks" when they are around 5 inchs and then replace them with 8-10 corys or loaches.

Ya. I knew the bala sharks get to big, but they are so pretty. In a few months I will get rid of all sharks or just keep one rainbow and add more barbs. Starting with cherry. I would say the bala sharks are 2 inches. How fast will they outgrow my tank. And so far all sharks get along

And so far all sharks get along

Famous last words..... ;)

My rainbow went through a really rapid growth spurt. As he grew, so did his level of aggression. That's typical for these sharks. They may be cute and cuddly now, but they won't be soon. :ermm:

Ya. I heard that. As soon as I see aggression my least favorite or the most aggressive will be taken to my lfs.

LyndaB said:
Famous last words..... ;)

My rainbow went through a really rapid growth spurt. As he grew, so did his level of aggression. That's typical for these sharks. They may be cute and cuddly now, but they won't be soon. :ermm:

I agree. Rainbow sharks are one of my faves, but I don't have a big enough tank for one now. They def will become aggressive toward any other large bottom feeders. Mine was in a 55 and did well with barbs, angels, loaches, plecos and corys. But he would chase anything away from the terretories he had established if they got too close. I had him for about 3 years. So the fish need to be docile enough to not fight back or aggressive enough to have their own separate terretories.

Back
Top Bottom