Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It would work I definitely wouldn't put gouramis in with tiger barbs though. The barbs will pick at and eventually kill 2 dwarf gouramis. I would just do another small quick schooling fish. Or even do all tiger barbs with different colors like 5 regulars, 5 albinos, 5 Greens. ,

Ok I won't do the gouramis but other than that my stock is fine?

Also I would take out either the yoyo loaches or angelicus loaches.

Could I take out the yoyos but keep the angelicus?

Kubotai are much more calm compared to yoyos, and I think they look prettier. If I were you, I'd drop the yoyos and add 3-4 Kubotai loaches. Tiger barbs are largely known for fin nipping and the gourami would fight them, but since you have a school of ten, I wouldn't take that chance. My two male dwarves are very calm in my 20g but they would die to those barbs.

So I would have 8 angelicus kubotai total or 3-4 total

Ok I think I'm going to go with the tiger barbs and if they don't work I will sell them or return them.

I keep only 6 angelicus loaches in a 220g tank (yes I could keep more but 6 in your tank would be like 24 in my 220g which I wouldn't do) so IMO 6 is too many considering the size they grow to in a 49g tank. Also just so you know a shark could have issues with the loaches due to the loaches having a similar body shape. sharks tend to get aggressive with similarly shaped fish.

I keep only 6 angelicus loaches in a 220g tank (yes I could keep more but 6 in your tank would be like 24 in my 220g which I wouldn't do) so IMO 6 is too many considering the size they grow to in a 49g tank. Also just so you know a shark could have issues with the loaches due to the loaches having a similar body shape. sharks tend to get aggressive with similarly shaped fish.
How many would you suggest

I would only do 3 but you might, depending on the rest of your stock and bio-load, along with good weekly WC's and filtration, do 4 max. While loaches do better in groups I have over the years often quite successfully kept only 3 due to tank size with Kuhli loaches being the exception.

Agreed no long fin plecos. That stock should be fine but I would get 11 tiger barbs they always seem to work better for me with a odd number of them idk why.

If it were me I would only get one BN pleco (they poop a TON), one dwarf gourami (females rarely sold in stores and males may fight), and bump up the angelicus botias to 5.
Sounds like a very fun tank!

Back
Top Bottom