Stocking 30G Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NGW-Mark

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 30G (might be 27-29G) with five Albino Cory Catfish, and would like to explore my options as far as stocking goes. I would ideally like to have a large, vibrant fish with somewhat of a personality, and if possible school of smaller fish other than bottom dwellers. Also, I would like to explore the possibility of adding more Cories. I have read a tad bit about Cichlids and from what I have heard they are rather large and vibrant and have unique personalities. Other than that I don't know anything about them. The fish need to be rather hardy as even though I've had the tank for several years now, I don't have a lot of time to dedicate to the maintence and feeding.

bettaowner said:
I would say a school of 10 green neon tetras would work.

I considered that but I am not a big fan of Tetras, thanks for your suggestion though. Any other ideas?

bettaowner said:
Gold barbs are small and shiny. Great fish. I would say 5 or so.

Ideally I would like to have a larger fish or two (any info on Cichilds?) in addition to the existing school of cories. Having another school of fish would be nice but for now I would like to mainly focus on the possibility of adding a at least one larger fish. Thanks for your input, I'll do some research on the Gold Barbs.

jetajockey said:
paradisefish are great.

Thanks, I'll add this to the list of possibilities and fish to research. Also, I like your avatar ;-)

I'd look into blue or bolivian rams, different types of kribs, and maybe different types of gourami. A pearl gourami would make for a great centerpiece fish. For non-tetra schooling fish a nice shoal of neon dwarf rainbowfish would look great.

Pair of Bolivian Rams, or Red Breast Acara and a school of Tetra, Lemon Tetra look nice with my Bolivians.

azmodan said:
I'd look into blue or bolivian rams, different types of kribs, and maybe different types of gourami. A pearl gourami would make for a great centerpiece fish. For non-tetra schooling fish a nice shoal of neon dwarf rainbowfish would look great.

Thanks, I did some research on the Pearl Gourami's and they seem like a good candidate. I was thinking abut having a couple of those in addition to the school of cories and some other species. Would this be overstocking? I read that they can be kept together but that they need to be kept in particular number, e.g. so many females per male or something. Also, most of the sites I came across said a planted tank was a neccesity for both of the species though, along with some kind of moss or plant covering the top of the tank. Why is this? I couldn't find a lot of accurate information on the Bolivian Rams, any advice on those?

Back
Top Bottom