Stocking a 58

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clownfish4

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Okay, I am trying to put together a stocking list for a 58g cube, 24x24x24, and am going nuts. I haven't chosen a theme yet and have no idea what fish fit into each theme anyways. I plan to start with a simple fish only tank and add some plants later down the line. Anyways, here are some fish that I like. Please help me pick a theme and some fish.

tiger barbs
neon tetra
neon blue dwarf gourami
zebra danios
all cichlids
bala shark
rainbow shark
other suggestions?
are there any plecos that aren't ugly?

i wouldnt put the neons w/the tiger barbs, and i dont know if u can put 2 sharks together...i know that bala's like to school tho, and they get too big for that tank.

The bala will get way too big for a 24" wide tank. The rainbow will do just fine, just have 1 only. Could do dwarf cichlids like German Blue Rams, and plant the tank.

Well, you need to decide first if you want an aggressive tank (cichlids only), a semi aggressive tank (gouramis, cichlids like angels or some rams or tiger barbs) or a community tank.

The list you have provided is all over the map when it comes to aggression

Also, while you wait on decided your fish list, you should start your cycle (if you havn't already)
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/article_view.php?faq=2&fldAuto=21

Definately not neons with angels, my angels ate every neon I put in there. I agree you need to decide what level of aggression you want in a tank. We all have our preferences. I for one, cant ever decide so I keep getting more tanks and picking different fish types for each tank. Once you have a kind of idea, then we will be able to help with your stocking with suggestions.

Okay, I would prefer a peaceful tank since IN GENERAL, as aggression increases you get into sloppier eaters and more waste. Also, I am a big fan of both diversity and schools, bit of an oxymoron. So I would like a couple schools and maybe a couple pairs? I really hate having fish in single numbers. I also really like the gourami. And what is an otto?

clownfish4 said:
Okay, I would prefer a peaceful tank since IN GENERAL, as aggression increases you get into sloppier eaters and more waste. Also, I am a big fan of both diversity and schools, bit of an oxymoron. So I would like a couple schools and maybe a couple pairs? I really hate having fish in single numbers. I also really like the gourami. And what is an otto?

Cool.... Check my signature for my 26G. Could do something like that, dwarf gouramis with cherry barbs, rasboras, and larger tetras. Don't do neons, I had 12 in there and 9 were eaten by the gouramis. :(

Gourami's can be aggressive, but if you get dwarf gourami's try for a male and 2 females, that will cut down on aggression. Same goes for regular sized gourami's. I have angel fish and gouramis, with cory cats and yoyo loaches and every one gets along fine. Oto's

Okay, what about this:

2-3 Neon Blue Dwarf Gouramis
8 Zebra Danios
2 Ottos
6 Skunk Botia Loaches
8 Hexazon Barbs

I had to look the barbs up, never heard of them, lol....

I think you would do good with that setup. For the gouramis, 1 male and 2 females if you can get them that way. I see you like the skunk loaches. They are awsome. I'd probably go with 3-4 skunk loaches myself in that tank. And at least 3 otos, as they like their own company. Other than that, looks great.

Back
Top Bottom