Stocking a 60 litre tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tommyk

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi.

Just a quick question.

I'm fairly new to fish keeping, I have a 60 litre tank, all cycled and fish seem really healthy. Water parameters are good ammonia and nitrites are 0 and nitrates are less than 5. My ph is approx 7.6 but I am working on bringing that down by doing water changes with rain water and ro water.

Currently I have 3 Cory's 1 small Pleco, ( the girl in the fish shop said he will get to a max of 12 cm) 2 buenos aires tetra and 4 mollies.

I would love to add a few more to the tank but I'm afraid of overstocking. I was thinking of adding some neon tetras as they are small. How many should, or can I add.

Or if anyone has other suggestions of what to add it would be greatly appreciated

Thanks for your help

Your maxed out, and should really think about upgrading soon. Most mollies can get around 4" so 4 of them really should be in 20g tank. The pleco should be identified, there really isnt any pleco that belongs in a 15g tank, a bushynose might work if there wasnt much else in the tank. You can never trust store workers. The cory cats should also be identified. Some of them are fine in a 15g tank, but some can grow over 3" and all corys should be in groups of at least 5. Furthermore, all tetras need to be in groups of 5 or more, so your buenos need some company. Im sorry for all the bad news, just trying to get you all the info about yor fish as possible. 6 buenos, 4 mollies, 5 cory cats, and 1 small pleco would be fine in a 30g, but not a 15g. If the 15g is your only option and you dont want to get rid of any fish, i would just add 3 more buenos and call it a day.

Thanx for the info people.

I'm tempted to upgrade to a 30 gallon this week. Just came across one in a local store for a reasonable price.

Is it going to be a big job to get the new tank through the nitrogen cycle or should I be ok if I just transfer everything to the new tank

Thanx for the info people.

I'm tempted to upgrade to a 30 gallon this week. Just came across one in a local store for a reasonable price.

Is it going to be a big job to get the new tank through the nitrogen cycle or should I be ok if I just transfer everything to the new tank
Hi Tommy. What type of filter(make&model) do you have now and what filter is with the new tank??. How much are you paying for the new tank??

Hi Ian.
The filter in the current tank is an in tank sponge filter. It's an aquael fan filter 1 plus. It filters 320 litres an hour. I don't know what brand filter is in the new tank. It is another sponge filter. The new tank is 4 foot by 1 foot deep and 1 foot high. It's reduced to 100 euro with filter heater and light.

I was wondering could I put my fish and filter in the new tank. With the same bio load would the current filter keep them happy and run the new one in the tank also until it grows some bacteria and then gradually add some more stock.

This way I was hoping the tank might not need to cycle again

Hi Ian.
The filter in the current tank is an in tank sponge filter. It's an aquael fan filter 1 plus. It filters 320 litres an hour. I don't know what brand filter is in the new tank. It is another sponge filter. The new tank is 4 foot by 1 foot deep and 1 foot high. It's reduced to 100 euro with filter heater and light.

I was wondering could I put my fish and filter in the new tank. With the same bio load would the current filter keep them happy and run the new one in the tank also until it grows some bacteria and then gradually add some more stock.

This way I was hoping the tank might not need to cycle again
Sorry tommyk. I thought I replied to this thread a few days ago!!. Computer/internet is giving me issues. Anyway, you can indeed run bought together. Another way of speeding up growing BB on the new filter is, when the Aquael get dirty, squeeze the gunk onto the new filters sponge/bio media. Another thing you could try is, if you have room in the new filter, ask your LFS for a few handfuls of gravel from their tanks. Get them to bag them like they would a fish, keep wet and then put them in some cheap NEW ladies tights(cut the ankle off and use). This can be then placed in with the new filter to speed up the cycle of the new filter. If none of this is possible, just run the two filters together....

Thanks for the info ian086.

Just getting the stand finished and hopefully set it up next week

Back
Top Bottom