Stocking for a 55 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Probably not if really well filtered and you pick a small pleco like a bristlenose, pitbull, clown, butterfly, or snowball

Skeeter4158098 said:
Britsle nose I have heard need drift wood and I don't have or want to put driftwood in my tank really wouldn't go with the theam. As far as the silver tip catfish/sharks everything I have seen say 55 gallon minimum I know that i am at the small size one of my pet stores says that when either the pleco or catfish out grow my tank they will trade them for free for smaller size and as far as getting big they take a few years. And hopefully by then I will be in a position to get a bigger tank. If not i will swap them for smaller ones.

Almost all Plecos need wood as part of their diet. Some HAVE to have it. Some just like it.

The Sharks won't live a normal lifespan in all Freshwater. It's unethical for stores to sell "Tank Busters " IMHO. And to sell you a Tank Buster that also will have to have Brackish-SW and lie about it just makes me PO'd.

I researched these fish when I had them for sale. I couldn't get Petsmart to stop carrying them but I did steer customers away from them.

Do you want it because it has Shark in the name ? They are a wide mouth Catfish. ANY fish that fits will be eaten, often at night. Your Tetras will probably be toast.

They are super restless also and that bothers other fish.

I can't tell you what to do, but by buying such fish, it keeps the stores selling them which just furthers this bad cycle :(

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/ariopsis-seemanni/

Please read the part about venemous spines.

Coursair said:
Almost all Plecos need wood as part of their diet. Some HAVE to have it. Some just like it.

The Sharks won't live a normal lifespan in all Freshwater. It's unethical for stores to sell "Tank Busters " IMHO. And to sell you a Tank Buster that also will have to have Brackish-SW and lie about it just makes me PO'd.

I researched these fish when I had them for sale. I couldn't get Petsmart to stop carrying them but I did steer customers away from them.

Do you want it because it has Shark in the name ? They are a wide mouth Catfish. ANY fish that fits will be eaten, often at night. Your Tetras will probably be toast.

They are super restless also and that bothers other fish.

I can't tell you what to do, but by buying such fish, it keeps the stores selling them which just furthers this bad cycle :(

Please read the part about venemous spines.

No the reason is not because they have shark in there name. I had a 75 gallon tank awhile ago and I had to of them in it with 5 red eye tetras 2 comon plecos. 3 gold fish and 2 angel fish. As far as plecos go I want to try finding one that I can get that one will stay on the smaller size and 2 not have to have drift wood in my tank. Due to my theme and size of my tank I don't have much options for a piece of wood. I have also looked into do jo fish? Whats your take on them? And what is "IMHO"?

Skeeter4158098 said:
No the reason is not because they have shark in there name. I had a 75 gallon tank awhile ago and I had to of them in it with 5 red eye tetras 2 comon plecos. 3 gold fish and 2 angel fish. As far as plecos go I want to try finding one that I can get that one will stay on the smaller size and 2 not have to have drift wood in my tank. Due to my theme and size of my tank I don't have much options for a piece of wood. I have also looked into do jo fish? Whats your take on them? And what is "IMHO"?

IMHO = In My Humble Opinion

There are several smaller Plecos. You might check out Planet Catfish for some good info. Pitbull, Clown, BN, others stay small.

Dojos ? Very active. Like sand so they can dig their faces into it and sometimes entire body. Escape artists , need a tight lid.
Prefer cool water. Get good sized, loves to be in a group.
http://www.loaches.com/species-index/weather-loach-misgurnis-anguillicaudatus

Added 5 blood fin tetra yahoooo. So now I. Am sitting at

5 serpae
5 black fins
5 yello pristilas
And the latest adition to my tank
5 blood fin tetra

So I have 20 fish now in my tank and so far have to say the bload fins are my new favorites they will sit and play in the bubbles and float to the top then swim back down and do it over and over again. Silly fish.

so what else still trying to pin down what kind of pleco I want and if I need to put a piece of driftwood in I will. Originally I thought you would have to put a huge piece of wood in. Didn't realize that you can get small ones. As far as do jo loaches. I am still on the fence with them. I have gravel and not sand as I have seen heard and read that they prefer sand so the can burrow. So if I do looking at just getting a gold do jo loach. Also am thinking of at least one or two more schools of fish either penguin tetras or rummy nose tetras. Then I still want to get at least two angel fish so I can name them after my parents who passed away 6 years ago. I know that they can get big and have seen that there are dwarf Angelfish? As far as the silver tip sharks (catfish) I have chose no on those as they are more of a brakish water fish and dont want to do a brakish tank. So long story short with 20 fish now two amgel fish and a pleco. And then say either another 2 schools of 5 fish say penguin and rummy nose. Am I sitting at to many fish? I do a 25% wc a week now.

Back
Top Bottom